Front diff going - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 14th, 2006, 04:39 PM
jdb3760
Jake Buinewicz
95 Defender 90 softtop

Front diff going

I have diagnosed that my front differential is starting to go. Theres about half an inch of play from when the u-joint turns to when the wheels start moving. I know its not the U-joint going bad. For the past month or two its just clunked a little and I've driven it, but recently the clunking has gotten worse to where I am having a vibration during acceleration. I also have a whine when I am coasting while in gear. Before this happened I already decided I that I was going to upgrade to 4.11 gears and arb's front and rear. I am just worried that I am going to be driving it and my front diff is just going to detonate. This is my daily driver and if this happens will I able to limp it home in 4-hi? Has this happened to anyone else and what specifically in the differential caused this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb3760
I have diagnosed that my front differential is starting to go. Theres about half an inch of play from when the u-joint turns to when the wheels start moving. I know its not the U-joint going bad.

This sounds normal.

For the past month or two its just clunked a little and I've driven it, but recently the clunking has gotten worse to where I am having a vibration during acceleration. I also have a whine when I am coasting while in gear. Before this happened I already decided I that I was going to upgrade to 4.11 gears and arb's front and rear. I am just worried that I am going to be driving it and my front diff is just going to detonate. This is my daily driver and if this happens will I able to limp it home in 4-hi? Has this happened to anyone else and what specifically in the differential caused this?

If something breaks in the front you don't really want to drive it without knowing what broke and isolating the problem.
So if your front diff breaks the spider gears you would want to pul the axles and driveshaft to prevent the diff from spinning. If you don't the broken piece may jamb into the spinning differential and cause more problems like a hole in you axle housing!
Old May 14th, 2006, 07:48 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I`ve got a good inch of play in both my front and rear, and it`s still driving just fine.... no strange sounds or grinding or anything.... does this mean impending doom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 14th, 2006, 08:13 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Jake,

I have a similar problem on my Disco. I removed the front DC DS for a few days and drove around, same problem. I think the problem is not the diff but within the TC.

Mike H might be able to help us since he's the TC guru

I've got about 1/4 turn of play and a clonk when accelerating and decelarating.

I just finished installing a brand new 30 degree wide yoke DC DS and same problem, so I guess it's time for a new TC.
Old May 14th, 2006, 09:55 PM
jdb3760
Jake Buinewicz
95 Defender 90 softtop

Thanks for the help. I guess that is the next thing I will be getting in the future. I thought the noise was more forward than the transfer case. I guess I could be wrong. I just hope its not something thats gonna blow up in the near future.
Old May 14th, 2006, 10:06 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Could also be the pinion bearing in the front diff. I had my backlash set by Cityside Garage in MA and it fixed the grinding noise in the rear diff.

Good luck.
Old May 15th, 2006, 02:29 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I think some play is "normal" for a warn rover. I have never driven a defender that has not clonked to some degree.

The whining could be a problem. Is there metal in the diff?
The vibes could be a number of things, many of which also have whines associated with them.

But I say put an ARB in and 4.11 gears because you know you want to

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions