Front crank seal R&R Qs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 21st, 2015, 07:35 PM
87 defender 110 3 door
Front crank seal R&R Qs

Have a slow weep keeping the weep hole moist at the timing cover. PROBABLY the crank seal.
Before I tore it apart and got into that, I wanted to make sure I had what looks like a simple procedure straight.
I've replaced the timing belt before, so I know my way in ok.

I've looked through the overhaul manual. Seems straight forward.

Do I need a puller to get the timing gear off the crank? I can probably/maybe produce one that would work, but i don't remember needing one before. If needed, any particular type? Will a pulley puller do?

Once I get that off, its a simple prise out the old seal and drive in the new lubricated one right? just like the rear main?

Thanks anyone that can help. I don't want to start into something and leave my vehicle disabled for an extended time getting parts/tools.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions