front cover, crank driven oil pump with distributor - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 19th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

front cover, crank driven oil pump with distributor

Does anyone know the part number for the interim front cover that has the crank driven oil pump WITH the distributor hole drilled?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Timing-Cover-L...item230609bfd6

This item on eBay? Part Number HRC 1321
Sterling, VA
Old March 19th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Wrong cover in the e-bay ad there.

He's looking for the one from the 95(?) discoveries that had serpentine belt 4.0's, but still had a distibutor and the Hot-Wire EFI like the 94/95 D-90's.

Unfortunately, I don't know the part number.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 19th, 2010, 08:08 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Why? Whats wrong with dizzy drive?

------ Follow up post added March 19th, 2010 08:09 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Wrong cover in the e-bay ad there.

He's looking for the one from the 95(?) discoveries that had serpentine belt 4.0's, but still had a distibutor and the Hot-Wire EFI like the 94/95 D-90's.

Unfortunately, I don't know the part number.

-Hans
No 4.0 had a dizzy
Old March 19th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

A lot of early range rovers used this. It is called an interim front cover and operated primarily with the hot wire. I am debating using the crank driven pump due to its much higher volume and converting to serpentine but I am not willing to give up a v-belt set up unless I can figure out my York air compressor which I love. I figure I can figure out how to mount a york on a serp belt set up. And if so, I am probably switching.
Old March 19th, 2010, 09:51 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
more volume from the crank pump ive never heard this, I never hear about the dizzy drive failing. Only advantage to the serp is the GM fan clutch period.
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:15 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

The motors that used this interim setup had the older style short snout 3.9 crank but a longer key way (vs the long snout 4.0 crank). Pretty much have to remove the crank and machine the key way longer as the short version does not fully engage the oil pump. Not doing so will seriously risk pump failure. I did a bunch of these at one point but the novelty wore off. I have the part #'s (and probably the covers) at the shop.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Why? Whats wrong with dizzy drive?

------ Follow up post added March 19th, 2010 08:09 PM ------

No 4.0 had a dizzy

Ok, then it was the GEMS 3.9's with serpentine cover and distributor's. Either way, there was a front cover that used both the rotary vane pump and distributor. And it was, as far as I know, only seen in the '95 NAS Disco's.

Mike Hippert did a conversion a few years ago using this method in his defender, and posted it up here. He used a 4.0 long block, with the distributor/serpentine front cover, and a 3.9 intake plenum. It's an interesting thread to read through.
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=5560

The big improvement is that you get a lot better oil pressure out of the 4.0 style rotary pump as opposed to the ancient external gear pump of the 3.9's. You would be surprised how low the pressure is with the older style pumps.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 20th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Folks--When using the interim front cover, it requires the longer keyway. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I already have that with my 4.6l crank, right? Therefore, using the interim cover, you have to have a hotwire set up running a distributor but it uses the crank driven oil pump that does increase the capacity of the oil pump by over 20%. If you ever want a history in the Rover engine, especially in relation to the various front covers, styles of ECU, ect, ect, get the book called How to Power Tune Rover V-8 for Road & Track by Des Hammill. Awesome book, tons of info, covers 3.5 - 4.6.

That said, still trying to find the part number for the interim cover, if you have it.
Old March 20th, 2010, 12:11 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It is the cover used on 94-95 DIs and 1995 RRCs.

Crank driven pump with a hole for the dizzy. $570 from AB. I might have a used one, but I am not digging it out. It will work with a 4.6 block. Probably can find used cheap and they really don't go bad often.

Engine Front Cover
Item: ERR6814GGenuine Part In Stock: Yes!
Fits:Discovery I | '94 - '95 | Fits 3.9 engine only
Range Rover Classic | '95 | Fits 3.9 engine starting with engine number 36D25155A and 4.2 engine starting with engine number 40D09582B

edit: at least this is what I think you are talking about.
Old March 20th, 2010, 07:19 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Davis, you are correct that you have the long snout crank on the 4.6 so you are OK.
part # is ERR6814. (please check that is correct if ordering.....should be for a '95 Disco 3.9 or 95 RRC 4.2)
Beware of used front covers, these pumps do wear and if you've ever taken one apart and looked you'd be surprised. You can replace the pump gears but the cover is the part that wears so you are really not achieving anything.I have never seen real improvement in oil pressure by swapping to the newer style pump, in general it is about the same improvement as rebuilding the old style pump.

Also with these covers be VERY careful when installing the oil cooler lines. The cover itself is very tender at the oil filter oil line junction and if you take note of the factory torque settings for these lines they are very low (I can't remember of the top of my head, but is not much over finger tight) and if over tightened at all will crack the cover rendering it pretty much useless.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old March 20th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Thanks everyone for your advice and pointers--very appreciated!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
cover, distributor