Front brakes axle shims won't fit... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 6th, 2006, 01:26 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Front brakes axle shims won't fit...

OK, so I got one of the front rotot hub bearing assemblies back on (DBA rotors) and bolted back the drive member.
The drive shaft stub end now only has room for the circlip, and no room for the two shims. When I installed the whole assembly, there was no play, and adjusting the bearings was the usual. Still no play, so I can't figure out why the
shaft end is a tad short?? Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2006, 01:45 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Insert a bolt in the end of the CVs shaft (you'll see the threaded hole in the end of the CV shaft) and pull on it. The CV has end float (aka moves in and out). That should do it. If not, sometimes they get bound up when you install the hub and flange and you have the remove the drive flange again to get them free'd up. This will allow you to pull out on the shaft to get the shims and the clip on.
The end flot is real important so that you don't blow the CVs, so make sure it is set correctly.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old June 6th, 2006, 02:50 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Thanks for the tip. I found the problem. When I inserted the whole assembly back on, the seal dislodged and got mangled. (I guess it was a little off when I seated it). I replaced the seal and repacked the bearings, and the assembly fit
as it should shims and all. BTW, that circlip can be a %#@!&* to put back on while holding the shaft out. But all in all, I survived my first bonehead move.. Now for the other front side, and I will be done with all four...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2006, 05:06 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewap
Thanks for the tip. I found the problem. When I inserted the whole assembly back on, the seal dislodged and got mangled. (I guess it was a little off when I seated it). I replaced the seal and repacked the bearings, and the assembly fit
as it should shims and all. BTW, that circlip can be a %#@!&* to put back on while holding the shaft out. But all in all, I survived my first bonehead move.. Now for the other front side, and I will be done with all four...

Did you have a pair of circlip plyers, a good pair makes it easy.
Old June 6th, 2006, 09:10 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Yeah, I bought circlip plyers but they sucked. Broke 2 tips. I ended up using them and regular needle nose in tandem.
Old June 7th, 2006, 09:02 AM
redrover

Also not mentioned and you probably did it -is to recess the seal 4mm inside hub lip. If not done you will get a false torque value on hub nut. JP
Old June 7th, 2006, 11:50 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Yes I recessed the seal 4mm, but not having the real tool to press the seal in, I used the old races and a mallet, to tap in the seal.That particular seal was tapped in, a little off (deeper on one side), so I believe when I mounted the assembly on the drive shaft, the seal and bearing popped off/dislodged at the back. When I pulled the assembly back off, sure enough the seal and bearing were slightly jammed on the shaft. The seal was damaged and the spring gaiter mangled. I re-checked the bearing races and they looked good and seated. Checked the bearings and no damage, so I repacked them, and installed VERY CAREFULLY the new seal at proper depth. I again VERY CAREFULLY slid the whole assembly back on, spinning the hub to ensure proper seating. Adjusted the bearing nut, placed lock washer and lock nut, drive member, and presto the problem was soved and the shims and circlip fit perfect. I just re-bled the front today, and went for a drive to set the pads by driving up to 50 mphr. and braking hard. I did this about 6 times before the pads settled in and the D90 braked evenly in a straight line. Serious braking power now on all four..SWEET!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
axle, brake