Front brake line - why hard line & flex line? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 11th, 2012, 02:06 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Front brake line - why hard line & flex line?

I tried a few searches but wasn't sure how best word it so figured I would make a new post...while tearing apart the front end in my 90 last weekend for some much needed maintenance and new brakes I again reminded myself of a question I have had for a while. Why do the front brakes have a flex line that connects to a small hard line on top of the swivel ball and then to the caliper? Why not just have the flex line go straight into the caliper?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2012, 02:49 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Don't know the exact answer, but the hard line has to be bent in such a way that it clears the edge of the suspension spring & its base, so maybe they figured a stiff pipe would stay "in shape", whereas a flexible one might flop into a position where it could ge damaged?
Old January 11th, 2012, 06:47 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Jeff:

Out of curiosity do your brake lines have a bracket that holds them in place thats attached to the top of the swivel pin bolts? In other words the caliper can't be removed without undoing the swivel pin bolts? Was curious how it's setup on a NAS.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2012, 07:29 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
So you'll have a way to hang it up when you do a brake job
Old January 13th, 2012, 08:11 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Jeff:

Out of curiosity do your brake lines have a bracket that holds them in place thats attached to the top of the swivel pin bolts? In other words the caliper can't be removed without undoing the swivel pin bolts? Was curious how it's setup on a NAS.
There is a retainer on top of the swivel ball and that is the connection point between the flex line and the short hard line but I can remove the calipers without pulling the any parts of the swivel pins. worst case is you remove the small hard line
Old January 13th, 2012, 09:03 AM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
I tried a few searches but wasn't sure how best word it so figured I would make a new post...while tearing apart the front end in my 90 last weekend for some much needed maintenance and new brakes I again reminded myself of a question I have had for a while. Why do the front brakes have a flex line that connects to a small hard line on top of the swivel ball and then to the caliper? Why not just have the flex line go straight into the caliper?
between the frame and axle you need a flex line in order to absorb the pivot pint of the steering, other wise a hardline cannot be used at a pinch point.
the reason it runs from the caliper to the swivel, is because the caliper does not need to be removed on a normal brake procedure, this was done so the the steel lines stay closer to the caliper so they in turn will not become entangled on debree while off roading and thus break away.
lr implied that the mounting of the rubber line high above the axle would better its chances of survival in off road conditions...(how often do we trek in debree deepen than 75%the height of the wheel?).
when you read the stuff they feed you in training class it makes sense, since the earlier trucks were designed with the intention that they would be off roaded on a normal daily basis.
the newer units althou capable are more bling than it's inventors ever had in mind.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, flex