Front Axle Swap - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 29th, 2009, 09:40 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Front Axle Swap

Greetings to all. Been reading the site for awhile, and decided it was time to ask a few questions...

I am starting to gather the parts to do a LHD conversion on the 110 and I am hoping to kill two birds with one stone. I have a good local parts source so will probably get a complete front axle instead of swapping swivel housings. I am wondering if there is an RRC front axle that had vented non ABS brakes so I can get that done at the same time. Also, I have read some posts about differences in the width of the radius arms from year to year, anything to look out for there?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2009, 11:38 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Any RRC/Disco/D90 axle will work, but there are ones you would prefer to have and ones you would prefer not to have. RRC axles up to mid 1993 were 10 spline (no fun). All RRCs had calipers with two feed lines (ie, no good for D110)

Early RRCs and all disco Is had non-vented front brakes, however, this is not that big of a deal because new vented rotors are cheap and, since no Disco I or RRC had a single line vented width caliper you will be buying new calipers too.

All RRCs and DIs had the steering linkage with damper on the back of the axle where it is vunerable to damage.

So, what you want is a NAS D90 front axle, complete with all the steering linkage and radius arms. Failing that it is pick your poison. I would look for a mid-1993-1995 RRC axle as it would be nice to be able to use the second shock mount location in the future if you so desire and it will have the vented rotors and 24 splines. You will still need a new drag link and end, but it will your best bet. Third choice would be a disco one axle.

Confused yet?
Old April 30th, 2009, 04:25 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I didnt realize that if you swap a DI axel you needed new calipers? Does that go for the rear also?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 30th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

And the bushings for the front radius arms do come in two different widths. First time I switched an axle, I though I was crazy when the radius arms wouldn't fit - had to press in new bushings
Old April 30th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
D1 calipers will work with the narrower non-vented single line setup as found on many non US 90's and 110's.

I put a 97 disco rear axle under my '84 90. I disconnected the a-arm balljoint, lower shock mounts, the frame end of the trailing links, and the brake lines where they go into the T on top of the diff. That last one was because the disco abs axle had a split T that I did not want to use.

I am running the axles, cv's, stubs, hubs, calipers, and 1 disc (the other was only about 1/4" thick, swapped it out) from the 97 in my defender front axle casing.

I was not able to use the disco steering knuckles as they are rather different from the defender ones that I have.
so my plan to install the RH disco knuckle to enable a future LHD conversion was thwarted.

The disco front calipers were identical in every way that I could discern but the pads and the way the pads are retained is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaco1
I didnt realize that if you swap a DI axel you needed new calipers? Does that go for the rear also?
Old April 30th, 2009, 08:46 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

The CVs in the early 110 front axles are gonna be stronger than the ones in the RRC/Disco and NAS D90 front ends (not sure of the cut-off date). I agree that swapping axles is going to be the easiest but I would do some research cause you may be able to build up a nice front end. Otherwise sell those CVs to me!
Old April 30th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
yes they are much larger, but the inner axle is still only 10 spline on the diff end. not sure if they will fit in the later SPH housings. I am keeping all that stuff in the event I can find 24 spline inners for those cv's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRover
The CVs in the early 110 front axles are gonna be stronger than the ones in the RRC/Disco and NAS D90 front ends (not sure of the cut-off date). I agree that swapping axles is going to be the easiest but I would do some research cause you may be able to build up a nice front end. Otherwise sell those CVs to me!
Old April 30th, 2009, 04:01 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Simple.
Buy a cheap Disco axle and it's radius arms for the Diff and the Swivels. Keep everything else from the 110 and call me and I'll set you up with some axles to fit those nice CV's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:07 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Will the two line calipers from a ABS truck work with a non ABS system?
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:22 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
Will the two line calipers from a ABS truck work with a non ABS system?
All RRCs are two line (does not matter ABS or not). You can drill a hole between the two and plug one to make them work on a single line system, but I have not personally tried it.

I have some vented RRC calipers and some DI calipers and I am going to try to DIY my own D90 calipers out of them (RRC spacers and bolts and DI halves), but I have not done it yet so I am not sure it will work.

Ron
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:42 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
The RRC stops better than my Defender, its non ABS and has the front vented discs solid rears, are the two line calipers better than the single Defender style? It seems the D-90 caliper upgrade with the vented discs is popular among the disco crowd?
Old April 30th, 2009, 07:55 PM
evilfij
evilfij

What year is your RRC? The ABS ones stop on a dime (or at least feel like they do) because of the pump in the system rather than vacuum booster.
Old April 30th, 2009, 08:21 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Its a 91 Hunter. I know the ABS trucks have remarkably good brakes considering the weight of the trucks.
Old April 30th, 2009, 08:26 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Its the system not the calipers. Much more pressure in the lines, on the Non ABS trucks, I dunno what it is except you might weigh them both.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 30th, 2009, 11:14 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Wow, lots of great information guys, thanks. Sounds like there are few different options...

Ron, would love to hear if your hybrid caliper idea works - my local parts source owes me some parts for free in trade for an engine so I should be able to get any RRC or disco parts I need (just not a D-90 axle, unfortunately)
Old April 30th, 2009, 11:33 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

the pistons on the RRC and Disco calipers are considerably smaller than the pistons on the Lockeed Defender calipers whether the vented rotor type or not.

Old April 30th, 2009, 11:42 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Keith, would the spacers from a vented RRC caliper work in my 110 calipers? Seems like that would be the simplest solution for vented brakes. Also, are all Disco 1 axles equal, i.e. if i were to take your earlier advice and use the diff/swivels in my 110 axle?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
axle, front axle