Front axle question... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old November 9th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Grover's Avatar
Grover
Status: Offline
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,856
Registry
Question Front axle question...

Is it possible for the one-shot grease to leak into the front diff-case/pumpkin?

Cheers...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old November 9th, 2009, 12:04 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
Yes.

Bad inner seal would cause that.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old November 9th, 2009, 12:25 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
Related question if you don't mind the hijack - I use oil not one-shot grease in my swivel balls now and have a pretty good leak develop on one side out the hub cap. This would be an outer seal, not an inner one right (or could it be both?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old November 9th, 2009, 12:49 PM
D90user's Avatar
D90user
Status: Offline
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Nevada
Posts: 1,447
Is it leaking on your wheel? You may just need to re seal the flange with a paper gasket and/or some loctite on the bolts.
BTW I run oil in my bearings and swivel.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 9th, 2009, 12:53 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user
Is it leaking on your wheel? You may just need to re seal the flange with a paper gasket and/or some loctite on the bolts.
BTW I run oil in my bearings and swivel.
Yes leaking on the wheel, but it's not the flange seal. It's leaking out the hole the axle shaft goes through in the flange.

I did damage the plastic dust cap when putting the wheel on once and that may be where it's coming from. But I assumed if it would come out a cut in the cap then it would come out the groove where the cap snaps into as well no?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 9th, 2009, 01:26 PM
jimmy salmon's Avatar
jimmy salmon
Status: Offline
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Methuen MA USA
Posts: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Yes leaking on the wheel, but it's not the flange seal. It's leaking out the hole the axle shaft goes through in the flange.

I did damage the plastic dust cap when putting the wheel on once and that may be where it's coming from. But I assumed if it would come out a cut in the cap then it would come out the groove where the cap snaps into as well no?
Charles, I had a nick in one of my dust caps where it leaked from, bit of super glue in the cut and it hasn't leaked since
__________________
3rd low and BOOT IT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 9th, 2009, 01:49 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy salmon
Charles, I had a nick in one of my dust caps where it leaked from, bit of super glue in the cut and it hasn't leaked since
Ok I'll try this or get a new dust cap before anything else, thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old November 9th, 2009, 01:56 PM
enjoi1968's Avatar
enjoi1968
Status: Offline
Blake Pendleton
98 D1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 307
Charles, I am heading down to warrenton tomorrow afternoon (round 3pm) I'll be stuck in that parking lot known as 495 & 66. If you can suggest somewhere along my way to pull off I could drop you a new dustcap (and a reason to get out of the parking lot for a bit and calm down of course :D )
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old November 9th, 2009, 02:08 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi1968
Charles, I am heading down to warrenton tomorrow afternoon (round 3pm) I'll be stuck in that parking lot known as 495 & 66. If you can suggest somewhere along my way to pull off I could drop you a new dustcap (and a reason to get out of the parking lot for a bit and calm down of course :D )
I appreciate the offer but there is no rush - I have been running it like this for a while. I'm not that far from 66, but don't have the time to head out there tomorrow or I'd do it just for kicks. What takes you to Warrenton? Delivering some D1 parts?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Overlander's Avatar
Overlander
Status: Offline
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,531
Registry
I switched to series metal dust caps. more durable. I'm eventually going to get the bolt on, screw cap flanges from RN. Those plastic ones are kinda flimsy, and if you go with a wet axles, your at risk of losing a bit of oil on the trail if the plastic cap comes off. (hasn't happened to me, but it was a concern)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:38 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
I switched to series metal dust caps. more durable. I'm eventually going to get the bolt on, screw cap flanges from RN. Those plastic ones are kinda flimsy, and if you go with a wet axles, your at risk of losing a bit of oil on the trail if the plastic cap comes off. (hasn't happened to me, but it was a concern)
I did the screw cap ones on the 110 because I was tearing the caps on rocks. Really shouldn't be needed on the D90 though other than carelessness when putting on heavy tires. I like the idea of metal ones though. Aren't they longer than the D90 ones though?

charles
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old November 9th, 2009, 04:22 PM
evilfij's Avatar
evilfij
Status: Offline
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: on the internet
Posts: 14,688
Put some hylomar on the axle splines. Series trucks have a felt seal on the axle.
__________________
*not legal advice*
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old November 9th, 2009, 04:59 PM
enjoi1968's Avatar
enjoi1968
Status: Offline
Blake Pendleton
98 D1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
I appreciate the offer but there is no rush - I have been running it like this for a while. I'm not that far from 66, but don't have the time to head out there tomorrow or I'd do it just for kicks. What takes you to Warrenton? Delivering some D1 parts?
best friend from culinary school is currently living in Warrenton. Call of duty Modern Warfare 2 also comes out tomorrow..


With these metal screw-in caps that were mentioned, do those attach to the axel themselves? I just realized with my new steelies, my plastic dust cap will be exposed.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old November 9th, 2009, 05:11 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi1968
best friend from culinary school is currently living in Warrenton. Call of duty Modern Warfare 2 also comes out tomorrow..
Damn gamers
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi1968
With these metal screw-in caps that were mentioned, do those attach to the axel themselves? I just realized with my new steelies, my plastic dust cap will be exposed.
I think they are just a tap on snug fit onto the stub just like the plastic ones. Otherwise those HD replacement flanges are the way to go.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:45 AM
flippedrover's Avatar
flippedrover
Status: Offline
Tyler
'94 D-90
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ashburn,va
Posts: 3,125
Wouldn't it be faster to hop on 15 and bypass 495/66?
__________________
Can't you feel 'em circlin' (closin'in) honey?
Can't you feel 'em swimmin' around?
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:16 AM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover
Wouldn't it be faster to hop on 15 and bypass 495/66?
Yeah that's how I'd go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi1968
With these metal screw-in caps that were mentioned, do those attach to the axel themselves? I just realized with my new steelies, my plastic dust cap will be exposed.
I guess I misread this one. These are replacement flanges with screw on caps. I am not sure, but they may interfere with the alloys so if you used them, you may not be ale to mount alloys without modification. They would work fine with steelies.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Ren Ching's Avatar
Ren Ching
Status: Offline
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Downtown
Posts: 4,696
Registry
I've had the plastic caps come off. Didn't leak much or cause any problems. Took a used one out of the junkpile at home and put it on. No biggie.



Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi1968
I just realized with my new steelies, my plastic dust cap will be exposed.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:36 PM
enjoi1968's Avatar
enjoi1968
Status: Offline
Blake Pendleton
98 D1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover
Wouldn't it be faster to hop on 15 and bypass 495/66?
it would be if I wasn't leaving from Rockville...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Damn gamers
Come on, it's the ONLY game I do play...


Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
I guess I misread this one. These are replacement flanges with screw on caps. I am not sure, but they may interfere with the alloys so if you used them, you may not be ale to mount alloys without modification. They would work fine with steelies.
I'm moving to steelies here soon (once I wear out the rubber on the alloys) so I'll be looking at the flanges when it comes to that point.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:41 PM
cgalpin's Avatar
cgalpin
Status: Offline
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Riding, VA
Posts: 11,625
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoi1968
it would be if I wasn't leaving from Rockville...

Come on, it's the ONLY game I do play...


I'm moving to steelies here soon (once I wear out the rubber on the alloys) so I'll be looking at the flanges when it comes to that point.
Just giving you crap.

Here is what the replacement flanges look like btw.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...5&postcount=16
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old November 10th, 2009, 02:07 PM
enjoi1968's Avatar
enjoi1968
Status: Offline
Blake Pendleton
98 D1
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Just giving you crap.

Here is what the replacement flanges look like btw.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...5&postcount=16
Just another day in paradise...

Thanks for the pic, looks like I'll be getting my hands on some of them here soon.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
axle, front axle

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front Wheel Spacer / Axle Question johnpiero Defender Technical Discussions 17 January 11th, 2009 01:36 PM
TOO MUCH STUFF, Disco/RRC/Series/Defender/P38 GARAGE SALE RedRhinoProducts For Sale - Parts 5 May 20th, 2006 09:19 PM
Help! Question about front rotor and drive shaft. DesertRat Defender Technical Discussions 5 October 24th, 2005 07:14 AM
GBR 4.75 3rds and Extreme front axle setup for sale billnsandi For Sale - Parts 2 January 4th, 2004 11:10 PM
Front Rover9in axle Buckon37s Misc. Chit-Chat 6 December 8th, 2003 08:09 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 PM.


Copyright