Front axle options...? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 13th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Front axle options...?

All:

I took my Ninety in for an alignment, and the shop said they couldn't do one because the whole front end is so loose (also leaking at the seals). My front brakes are also shot. I did a search here, and it seems as though I have four options;

Option 1. Replace all the worn stuff on my current axle.

Pros: Get new stuff on the axle. Stay original (apparently stronger). No LHD to RHD swap.

Cons: Still need spacers. Parts harder to source.

Option 2. Swap out the whole assembly for a Discovery 1 unit.

Pros: Easier to get parts for it, front axle will match rear axle (I plan to swap it shortly), no more spacers.

Cons: Apparently weaker, will have to swap LHD to RHD, brakes may be smaller.

Option 3. Fit a Discovery 1 axle but transfer the stuff over from my axle.

Pros: Cheaper, get new parts.

Cons: Not much of an improvement over a Discovery 1 axle and parts?

Option 4. Source a RHD Defender axle from the UK.

Pros: Apparently stronger, will bolt right on, no more spacers.

Cons: More expensive, will take longer to get here, may still need new bushings, etc.

I am tempted to slap a Discovery 1 axle under there, but can't find a good source of info on exactly how to do the LHD to RHD swap. I don't plan any Dukes of Hazard type driving, so a slightly weaker axle shouldn't be an issue. I'd like to get away from having spacers.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Paul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2014, 07:46 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Fix the one you have! Who is to say that the Disco 1 axle will be any better than what you have now.
Old February 13th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Fix the one you have! Who is to say that the Disco 1 axle will be any better than what you have now.
Biggest part would be no more spacers!

It's also ten years younger...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2014, 07:50 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'll be brief in my response, but literally (for the most part) the only things that affect your alignment are the drag link & tie rod - that's it. And if the bars are straight, really what you're "adjusting" are the ball joint ends (which are replaceable).

Now that said, certainly swivel balls can *sort of* play into this, as can the bushings in your front radius arms & panhard rod. But really those technically won't affect your alignment.

My $0.02 - the shop sounds like the don't know what they are talking about if they say to replace the assembly. DO NOT replace the entire assembly. Not seeing it personally, but I'd probably replace the tie rod/drag link with a heavy duty set (with tie rod ends) from Lucky8, and assess the condition of the other said parts.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 13th, 2014, 07:52 PM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
Almost everything is the same right to left hand drive with the exception of the swivel housing. I just junked a rhd axle last august and put a lhd axle in my 110 when i did the frame swap. I would just get swivel seal kits, tie rod ends and bushings unless you want to switch to lhd then i would recommend just getting the whole disco axle cheap and throw all the same new parts at it then swap once its built..
Old February 13th, 2014, 08:47 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Figure out what's loose and leaking and fix them. You can do an alignment with a tape measure so just do that if necessary (is it even necessary?) and be done with it. Sounds like you should try another shop for sure.
Old February 13th, 2014, 09:38 PM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

What others are saying. Loose??? WTF does that mean? Take a shim out of each birfield assembly to tighten those up at bit. Pull the drive flanges and snug up the wheel bearing load. The tie rod ends might need replacing (seems they would have specified that). Make a slight adjustment to the steering box to take up slack. If you're not inclined to do that try another alignment shop...hell, try another alignment shop anyhow. Ignore the leaks...they all leak.
Old February 14th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
I talked with Brian at Defenders NorthWest, and he echoed what's been said- go with Option 1.

How do I get the Freestyles to fit without spacers? I've heard you can pull the hub bolts and remove the washers, which sometimes works. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Paul.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
axle, front axle