Front axel vibes ... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 31st, 2009, 12:53 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Front axel vibes ...

I now have a pretty bad vibe in my front axel, I checked the wheel bearings and they seemed good but when the front is off the ground and I turn the wheels I can hear a subtile clunking noise coming from inside the knuckles. So my question is when front CVs do go do the produce a bad vibe at around 50 mph ?

If it's the CV where to buy the best for an early Defender ?

Thanks !

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2009, 02:34 PM
peachyracer
Peter Stolz
My wifes '94 D90 POE #1500

Registry
Good question. I get the same vibration around 50 mph, but my initial thought was that the prop shaft was unbalanced or got whacked by the big stick that also tore off the exhaust.
Pete

Old September 1st, 2009, 12:07 AM
chrisconnie
Adam Hairston
97 LE #127/300

Peachyracer...check your panhard rod bushings. Have someone turn the wheel while you look for play. I had a vibration at 50mph and the bushings were bad.

Dunno about clunking with wheels in the air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 1st, 2009, 09:57 AM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Anyone know of the associated problems with failing CV joints ? What to look for ? I know for a fact that my bearing are ok and all bushings have been checked. Pulling out the front drive shaft today for a test run, even though the u-joints are ok.

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions