front axel - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 29th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

front axel

How much, if any, movement should be present on the front axel when the brakes are applied? I mean forward and aft not side to side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2010, 10:02 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Near zero. It should compress on the springs, but it should have no "fore and aft" movement.
Old May 29th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Near zero. It should compress on the springs, but it should have no "fore and aft" movement.
Dood,

He means axle wrap if I'm not mistaken. And these trucks have a buttload of it. Especially when the bushings start to wear. If the axle hasn't fallen out from under the truck, your cool.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 29th, 2010, 10:59 PM
evilfij
evilfij

No where near like a SOA leaf sprung truck.
Old May 29th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

I'm getting enough movement during braking that the track rod is hitting the sleeve intended to protect it. It has been evident since I've had this truck, 4 years, but I am chasing a new wobble and some other vague driveline issues. New pan hard rod bushings made the wobble much better but not perfect. As for the axel moving, it seems to make sense that if the axel is moving around something is going to wobble and effect the driveline. I just have to figure out where the worn bushings are. (I hope it's bushing because they're cheap)
Old May 30th, 2010, 01:07 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Do you have a three link? I has the SG tie rod protector on one of my discos and it was very tight fit.
Old May 30th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

No, but it is the same protector. After reading your responses and thinking about what happens, it may be the axel wrap. The axel casing kinda rolls forward or backward which causes the flex which causes the tie rod to hit the protector. I don't remember having that movement before on any other Rover, but then I have never had a tie rod protector either.
Old May 30th, 2010, 12:21 PM
evilfij
evilfij

My 1996 disco had that and the clearance was basically nil. IIRC it has some ability to be able to be moved forward or backward, if it is properly positioned I would think it could only be the radius arm bushings.
Old May 30th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
No where near like a SOA leaf sprung truck.
I'll give you that, depending on the leaf springs your using.

But gentlemen, I have holes cut in my floor and I could watch what the pinion did during breaking and acceleration. I would guess that bitch would wobble over an inch.

------ Follow up post added May 30th, 2010 07:31 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Davis View Post
No, but it is the same protector. After reading your responses and thinking about what happens, it may be the axel wrap. The axel casing kinda rolls forward or backward which causes the flex which causes the tie rod to hit the protector. I don't remember having that movement before on any other Rover, but then I have never had a tie rod protector either.
If you replace the radius arm bushings it will help this. Of course, your articulation is directly inverse to the condition of the bushings.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:56 PM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

Thanks fellas. Radius arm bushings are next.
Old June 1st, 2010, 01:22 PM
evilfij
evilfij

I think of wrap as rotational, not fore and aft. Fore and aft I think of like how a leaf sprung truck compresses and moves back with the shackle on the rear of the front springs. In any event, I am not sure how wrap would cause the issue as, IIRC, the protector is bolted onto the axle housing which should remain static relative to the steering rod.
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:41 PM
Paul Davis
Paul Davis
97 ST

Yep, that's the movement I was talking about. Not sure the movement is that extreme, but certainly close. I am going to install some new bushing and see what happens. Thanks for the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions