Front Air Vent Lever Broke...Argh! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 14th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST
Front Air Vent Lever Broke...Argh!

I dropped the truck off to have some work done and one of the techs broke the front air vent lever off. Where can I find this part? How difficult is it to replace?

Old February 15th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
The dealer will sell it top you for under 5 bux - it comes as an assembly with the mechanism that bolts to the back of the eyebrow vent. It takes a fair amount of disassembly to get to - kind of a PITA for a small part but its all straightforward.

Old February 15th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288
Call me crazy, but wouldn't the shop have some responsibility to repair what they have broken?
Damn, buddy... I had the shop heated up all weekend working on my new one (drinking beer). If it's nothing too difficult to handle give me a call and bring it over. Maybe I could learn something watching you fix it (drinking beer).

Old February 15th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW
I also have a broken one and am not looking forward to the disassembly. I'll try some epoxy first and hope that works. It should, as once lubricated the handle moves rather freely.

Another Rover pathetic design element!
Old February 15th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Hans Haase
The Lab Rat
Both of mine are broken, have been since I bought the truck. I think I'm going to proably cut-drill-tap the stub so that I can just turn something on the lathe and replace with that.

Also, isn't there two styles of these? Mine were the plastic tab looking ones, but IIRC isn't there some round knob type handles? those any stronger?

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 15th, 2006, 08:08 PM
George Parthmer
1995/d-90 #2715 yellowST
i had a broken drivers side one. i got the part from rovers north. it was a TOTAL pain in the ass to fix. maybe there was an easier way to do it but i ended up having take the dash apart. anyway, the hardest part was getting the vent reattached. i used a mirror to see what i was doing ... it was pretty tough to do in reverse but i couldnt get under it otherwise. oh well, just my $.02.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions