Defender Source Forum banner

Front Air Vent Lever Broke...Argh!

4K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Tex Defender 
#1 ·
I dropped the truck off to have some work done and one of the techs broke the front air vent lever off. Where can I find this part? How difficult is it to replace? :confused

Thanks,
Brian

#2 ·
The dealer will sell it top you for under 5 bux - it comes as an assembly with the mechanism that bolts to the back of the eyebrow vent. It takes a fair amount of disassembly to get to - kind of a PITA for a small part but its all straightforward.

#3 ·
Call me crazy, but wouldn't the shop have some responsibility to repair what they have broken?
Damn, buddy... I had the shop heated up all weekend working on my new one (drinking beer). If it's nothing too difficult to handle give me a call and bring it over. Maybe I could learn something watching you fix it (drinking beer).

Rod

#5 ·
Both of mine are broken, have been since I bought the truck. I think I'm going to proably cut-drill-tap the stub so that I can just turn something on the lathe and replace with that.

Also, isn't there two styles of these? Mine were the plastic tab looking ones, but IIRC isn't there some round knob type handles? those any stronger?

-Hans

#6 ·
i had a broken drivers side one. i got the part from rovers north. it was a TOTAL pain in the ass to fix. maybe there was an easier way to do it but i ended up having take the dash apart. anyway, the hardest part was getting the vent reattached. i used a mirror to see what i was doing ... it was pretty tough to do in reverse but i couldnt get under it otherwise. oh well, just my $.02.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.