From 2" to 3" lift... questions - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 3rd, 2011, 06:32 PM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

From 2" to 3" lift... questions

I am thinking of going to a 3 inch lift and running 35s. I currently have RTE rear links, 4.14 gears and HD rear drive shaft. I think all I would need is the 3 inch springs, HD front drive shaft, another washer on my rear links, and a set of the front links to fix my pinion angle. Is there more I would need to do?
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2011, 08:24 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Dont do it you are opening a can or worms.

I have a 3 and run 35's... I will be dropping to a 2" and run 295x75 16

you would need
brake line ext.
front drag links,
new shocks
Spacers
front drive shaft
to get used to the higher center of gravity

The defedner with a 2 inch is a very capable on and off road truck once you go higher without alot of mods it becomes a VG off road truck and poor on road truck

IMO
Old February 5th, 2011, 11:13 AM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

I have the brake lines already. What do I need spacers for? Also have 12" travel shocks, will these not work? What springs are you running? Maybe we could trade??
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
12" shocks all around or just in back?
Old February 5th, 2011, 12:50 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

I agree with Ron. I want to lower mine with the next set of tires I get. It is up to you. 3" lift changes the truck a lot. You encounter more vibrations, steering issues and so on.

When you say HD driveshaft do you mean just heavy-duty or are they double cardon? You will need double cardon drive shafts if this is what you mean. You will need another spacer in the rear links. Your gearing should be fine at 4.14. Your front castor will be off a bit and will make steering a bit sharper. You can correct this with castor corrected swivel balls or new radius arms, but when you do this, you will need a new double cardon front driveshaft as well because you will be bringing the pinion angle of the axle back to its natural -3 degree.

With a 3" lift you might notice some more wear on your powerstreering box and wheel bearings. The big wheels add a lot more force and tourqe which puts wear on parts. In no way am I trying to sway you to not do it. I did it and have been running it for 5+ years. It is amazing off road, but you do suffer some on road driveability.
Old February 5th, 2011, 01:14 PM
HeloBubba
Chris Murphy
'89 127 (D130), '16 LR4

Hi, Martin-

I agree with Ron & Dan, unless you're really set on a monster Rover or your plan is to turn your D into a "can of worms"/money pit! I wrote a little about my experience lifting my 97, linked here:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=28494 &
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=18053

While I dig my 97 a lot, I wouldn't do that big a lift again, and won't go bigger on my 94 than the 2" lift it came with.

Murph
'89 D110SW
'16 LR4

Former:
'97 D90SW - SOLD SEP '14
'94 D90ST - SOLD MAY '13
D90s sold while assigned overseas. You're welcome America!
'06 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
'8X FankenRover D100
Old February 5th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'm running a 5" lift on my 110 with 35s. It's a can of worms, but I planned on upgrading all the required parts anyway. I ended up with new springs, suspension spacers, wheel spacers, brake lines, front and rear drive shafts, trailing arms, radius arms, shocks, and even HD axle shafts all around. My truck was already pretty high so I don't notice a difference. Although I have I what I think is a perfect spring and shock combo so it drives and corners great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old February 5th, 2011, 04:42 PM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

I am very happy with the performance of my truck right now. I just somewhat feel like the tires are a bit small for the truck. I went with the 255's and might should have done 285's or something. What are the suggestions on that? I am running the 16x7 steel wheels with I believe 4.5 back spacing. The turning is great! Maybe I should just spend the money on frame sliders, and cat protection from rockware and not worry about clearing the obstacles. Suggestions welcome.
Old February 5th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
255/85/16 is slightly larger in diameter than 285/75/16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasD-90 View Post
I am very happy with the performance of my truck right now. I just somewhat feel like the tires are a bit small for the truck. I went with the 255's and might should have done 285's or something. What are the suggestions on that? I am running the 16x7 steel wheels with I believe 4.5 back spacing. The turning is great! Maybe I should just spend the money on frame sliders, and cat protection from rockware and not worry about clearing the obstacles. Suggestions welcome.
Old February 5th, 2011, 08:16 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
pick a better line, ive seen 33" tires on Rovers do some impressive maneuvers
Old February 5th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

35's will fit with no lift. Heck, 37's will. You can fit 35's and a 2in lift with a very small amount of trimming.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 5th, 2011, 11:14 PM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

buck is right they will fit BUT what happens to the turnining radius?
Old February 5th, 2011, 11:46 PM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

I agree with many of the other posts- I've run either 33x12.5x15s on steel rims or 285's on stock rims for the past 15yrs with about a 2.5" lift and full rockware suspension and protection. I've loved it for the ability to drive to the park and hang with the big boys on trailer queens all day. Like others have said- pick a good line, and have a better spotter! Good luck-

Regards,
Jay
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron View Post
buck is right they will fit BUT what happens to the turnining radius?
It goes from terrible to terrible.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 6th, 2011, 12:31 AM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

I'm not having any trouble getting where i want to go, was just thinking about going bigger. I dont think I want all the other issues that go with it. Thanks for the input.
Old February 6th, 2011, 11:35 AM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Martin if you don't have lockers, then I would just add some nice ARBs and you should be unstoppable off road.
Old February 7th, 2011, 09:58 PM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I have the RTE 2" springs, and I do have ARB's front and rear.

Could I run the Interco SSR 35x10.5x16 with my current setup? Seeing that they are a more narrow tire maybe I wouldn't have as many problems as say a 35x12.5.

If anyone has these tires with 2" lift I would love to hear what you think, on and off road, but mostly off road. Would also like to see a picture of this setup if anyone has one.
Old February 7th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
A spring lift does NOT AFFECT TIRE CLEARANCE..... OK. I'm sorry about the yelling, but you either need to trim to increase tire clearance, raise the body or reduce the up travel. Spring lifts do none of that. Spring lifts affect the normal ride height and the split between up and down travel. They do tend to reduce static travel as normally they use heavier springs. However, you should still be able to hit the bumpstops with a dynamic load. If you can't then it a poorly designed spring lift.

Also note that spring lifts make the not so great suspension geometry worse, especially on a 90.

The 35x10.5" SSRs are fine with no lift and you should not need trimming other than the flares with the right backspacing. You will need to put longer rear bumpstops on. Longer shocks or lower shock mounts can get you back the lost travel.
Old February 8th, 2011, 09:29 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasD-90 View Post
I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I have the RTE 2" springs, and I do have ARB's front and rear.

Could I run the Interco SSR 35x10.5x16 with my current setup? Seeing that they are a more narrow tire maybe I wouldn't have as many problems as say a 35x12.5.

If anyone has these tires with 2" lift I would love to hear what you think, on and off road, but mostly off road. Would also like to see a picture of this setup if anyone has one.
There is a guy from Italy that has that setup. He has posted pics on this board as well as Pirate. IIRC, he had a pic with 255 BFG MT next to the 35" SSR's for comparison. He also took pics of his rig with his rig articulating and the SSR's looked like they tucked up well. It did look "right" on his truck.

FWIW, I'm running a 2" OME with 285 SSRs. I don't wheel a ton but the times I have it has been a good setup. Went with Ron last year and while his rig did a lot better I think the main difference was him having locked axles and picking the right lines vs. tire size. That being said, when these 285's wear out I will probably go the skinny 35s".
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:59 PM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

Man I just got some springs that will result in a 3" lift and now you all got me all spooked.

B

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions