fried fuel pump - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 20th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Matt Hurst
fried fuel pump

just looking for some reassurance-tried to start the 90 yesterday-pulled the fuel line from the fuel rail no fuel what so ever-so i checked the fuel cut off switch,it clicked-hooked back up the fuel line-cranked it-no luck -pulled the fuel line again and a small trickel of gas -so i checked the fuse - it was good-i could hear the relay cycle- so that was okay- so i dropped the tank and checked the power wire to the pump with a 12 volt tester it was getting power when the relay cycled-so i hooked a wire from the battery and a ground directly to the pump - i heard a slight gurgle,but i had to hold my ear right next to the small rubber fuel hoses coming of the pump to hear that. now i have read alot of post that say you guys can hear your fuel pump run and i am guessing you dont have your ear pressed up to your gas tank?to add to the story i was having some problems with the 90 staying running on the short drives before i tore it apart-so the fuel pump sitting around unused for over 2 years, im sure didnt help the cause?with all that said i am guessing the fuel pump is fried?i am just looking for a 2nd or 3rd or 4th opinion or for you guys to tell me i am right- before i buy a new pump tomorrow.thanks for the help

Old April 20th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Chris Davis
94 D90, 88 RRC
I can always hear my pump, without holding anything to me ear. Crap, I can usually hear it with earplugs in. It is totally obvious once it is on, and I know a few others like that. If you can't hear ANYTHING, then my guess is either caput, or I have to really worry about my noise!

Old July 13th, 2012, 01:55 PM
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender
I have two for sale one brand new and one pulled out of a 94. Both work. If you open the gas tank cap you should be able to hear it it's running or not. I will see you both for 199. It does sound like your fuel pump is fried if the relay is working and you have electricity at the fuel pump connection.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions