Friday night the wife's asleep....I am day dreaming... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 1st, 2016, 09:42 PM
Marc Brouwer
66 IIa 88 Perkins powered
Friday night the wife's asleep....I am day dreaming...

So drove one of my recent imports today after installing new in tank fuel pump...

Oil light was ON 3.5v8 sounded not so happy but wasn't able to do much testing in the 3min I drove it around the yard....

So my thoughts on Oil Light are, check pressure with gauge, if bad sensor I just need to make it run better and fix exhaust leak.

if pressure if crap which I was told when I bought this truck, drop pan & check pick up tube for crap and debris if nothing to be found think new/old engine... why try to fix previous problem as there could be another 5 more hiding. There is a reason this truck was so reasonable....

So then I get to 110 v8 engine swap discussion. I tried the "search" function... well it's lousy finding mostly 300tdi threads but with the Saudi's pumping I am thinking stay with gas engine.

Oh and yes the current 3.5v8 also has leaky SU...

so engine swap land... here the questions...

3.9v8 ... bolts up to LT85s I can use rover manifold and put rebuilt SU's on it... am I missing something ? like clearance issues ?.... anyone has one that they know runs ? this is my off roader it will never be a show winner. work truck....

now while we are talking toy truck... why shouldn't I go with 4.6V8... I run into a few issues there. who knows what they are ?

I will need a different intake manifold, weber or holley carb....
do I run into front fan issues ? have to go electric ?
it looks like the LT85s bolts up to the 4.6 with just a few things to grind off and blanking off....

thoughts anyone ? before the wife wakes up...

I figure the 4.6's are a dime a dozen in the US, the LT85 box is stronger then the 77 or R380 why not a little more power. I guess if I really wanted I could stick with EFI but why just another thing to go wrong. 4.6v8 no cats should be 100mph truck...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions