Freaking HOT (temperature) Interior - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:04 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Freaking HOT (temperature) Interior

Useless Friday thread warning.

In the Summer, my soft top is rarely on unless it's supposed to rain. I have a garage, but when I'm out running errands, or have the truck out on the weekends, it's sometimes outside sitting in the Sun with the top off.

I have a Tuffy center console, as well as the Land Rover black rubber rear tub/footwell mat in the back of my D90 ST. Having burned myself multiple times on the center console arm pad when I've forgotten to put a towel or something else over it when the top is off in the Summer, I decided to finally check the interior temps a few weeks ago using my Infrared thermometer after the truck had been sitting outside for only 10 minutes in the Summer sun. The temp on my Tuffy center console was in the upper 130s, and the rear mat (I only shot the upper wheel-well section) was in the lower 130. Considering I touched them both and know they've been much hotter before, I'm wondering how hot they can actually get!

For those who have dogs or kids who sit in the back, this is also just a reminder of how hot the temps can really get back there on that rubber mat when they've been baking in the sun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:10 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
This public service message was brought to you by NYC boost club and is made possible by donations from readers like you!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:16 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
This thread is so useles. I meant to say one thing, wrote another, and just realized it accomplished nothing.

If anything, if anyone was wondering how hot that center console faux-leather arm pad is that just burned the first layer of skin off of your forearm, the answer is REALLY FREAKING HOT! Or if you're wondering why your dog is whimpering in the back of your D90 ST in the sun, it's probably because his/her paws are burning on the mat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:16 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Wheres the tech?
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:21 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Wheres the tech?
I was originally going to ask if anyone has recovered their Tuffy center console faux-leather arm pad with a fabric that retains less heat, but then I figured if I read that question in someone else's thread, I'd tell them to throw a towel over it, or buy a surrey top.

Then I brought in the infrared thermometer, so I had some data points, so I figured this conversation was far-too-technical for the misc. chit chat section.

Jason, feel free to make this a sticky.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:27 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Pics?
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:31 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I was originally going to ask if anyone has recovered their Tuffy center console faux-leather arm pad with a fabric........
When my Aunt is done knitting me a powder blue 3 piece suit I'll ask if she has enough yarn left to knit you a cover.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 02:18 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Paint the interior with this and problem solved.

Out of all seriousness, I bet if some of the guys with roof rack flooring painted the flooring with this it would make a HUGE difference. Yes I can get this stuff.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SJHP Super Therm.pdf (830.9 KB, 126 views)
Old August 2nd, 2013, 02:56 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Here's one I haven't seen in a thread, yet, but I didn't search.

How many pairs of pants have you snagged or put a hole in while getting in or out.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 03:36 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragland View Post
Here's one I haven't seen in a thread, yet, but I didn't search.

How many pairs of pants have you snagged or put a hole in while getting in or out.
Yeah that's in here...they even make a special replacement piece you can buy so that doesn't happen...I cant find my link. Would someone be so kind to post it? Sorry for the Jack, Josh!
Old August 2nd, 2013, 03:58 PM
K9Phil
Phil
1994 D-90 #1184

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Useless Friday thread warning.

In the Summer, my soft top is rarely on unless it's supposed to rain. I have a garage, but when I'm out running errands, or have the truck out on the weekends, it's sometimes outside sitting in the Sun with the top off.

I have a Tuffy center console, as well as the Land Rover black rubber rear tub/footwell mat in the back of my D90 ST. Having burned myself multiple times on the center console arm pad when I've forgotten to put a towel or something else over it when the top is off in the Summer, I decided to finally check the interior temps a few weeks ago using my Infrared thermometer after the truck had been sitting outside for only 10 minutes in the Summer sun. The temp on my Tuffy center console was in the upper 130s, and the rear mat (I only shot the upper wheel-well section) was in the lower 130. Considering I touched them both and know they've been much hotter before, I'm wondering how hot they can actually get!

For those who have dogs or kids who sit in the back, this is also just a reminder of how hot the temps can really get back there on that rubber mat when they've been baking in the sun.
Good point, and exactly why you should use a crate for your dog. I prefer the plastic, airline type. They stay cool, provide shade, keep people from messing with your dog, keep your dog from jumping out, and protect your dog if you are in an accident.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 03:58 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

oh see we posted within minutes of each other...I cant help it if I'm multi-screening and working whilst playing! So whatever dude lol...
Old August 2nd, 2013, 04:00 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
oh see we posted within minutes of each other...I cant help it if I'm multi-screening and working whilst playing! So whatever dude lol...
Did the 110 leave?
Old August 2nd, 2013, 04:18 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
Did the 110 leave?
No entiendo la pregunta?
Old August 2nd, 2013, 07:40 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Last summer I kept the top on and took the side windows and door tops off. Even tho the top is black it felt a lot cooler than it being open. And once you got driving it seemed to have better circulation.

It would be interesting to see what those fabric tops that Exmoor just dropped do for interior temps.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 08:06 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
It would be interesting to see what those fabric tops that Exmoor just dropped do for interior temps.
That Mesh-UV works well. I've alternated running no top and a Badger full with windows removed, and prefer the Mesh-UV surrey. The Badger with the windows removed created too much buffeting for my wife. She preferred no top which was quieter. Without question running no top is hotter.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:14 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I prefer leaving a Badger top on with the sides and rear (corner panels folded in) rolled up. It looks more like a Defender to me. Top off, it's too easy to mistake for a Jeep. Solves the hot Tuffy problem, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old August 3rd, 2013, 12:07 AM
kellykortman
kelly kortman
1994 land rover defender

Registry
I've ripped at least three pairs of pants getting out of that thing.

There must be a dozen solutions. I have one of these in the back for my dogs.

http://shop.vtarmynavy.com/italian-a...FSqCQgod7lgAjQ

It's cheap and heavy and stays in place and doesn't blow in the wind and is washable and doesn't shrink and god forbid you are freezing in your sleeping bag at night you can put this over you and it will be a difference maker. My dogs love this thing.

As far as the car heating up in the sun. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHURHOLD-SYN...item35ca2c58c6

I fashioned one of these for mine and it works like a charm.

------ Follow up post added August 2nd, 2013 09:08 PM ------

Old August 3rd, 2013, 01:35 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Joshua-- you crack me up-- really enjoy your contributions. Been fun, dig? I laughed when I read that about the arm rests. Happened to me a milllion times and I have psoriasis on my elbows and cracks in the arm rests=total sucks. Tell ya what, I'm gonna pick up some more buffalo hides in the real near future and I'll recover yours. Real leather, particularly buffalo leather, will solve all your ills. Here is mine converted to leather--- just a scrap I had, along with my buffalo briefcase/messenger bag. I'm gonna recover mine with the buffalo, so you can either a) have my leather or I can recover yours in buffalo at the same time. No charge or anything, just cause its my birthday and I like to give a gift on my bday. You can go black-- but it will still get hot-- not nearly as bad as the plastic crap-- or more brown, possibly tan if I can find a good uv/stain resistant coating that ain't crap to the planet.

You'll dig it, for sure. And my ACL surgery is on aug 23rd, so I'll have some down time to get it in. I hand stich, old school double needle, single thread...probably will never wear out :-). Pm me, I'll need your board to recover (or send you mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	76872  
Old August 3rd, 2013, 01:36 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Here is what buffalo textures like
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	76873  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
interior