Frame maintainence recommendations - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old March 6th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Charles R. Wolfe
1984 110, 300Tdi
Frame maintainence recommendations

1984 Defender 300 tdi.

I have removed front grill, radiator, fuel tank and have it up on blocks.
Have power washed, degreased and hired local high school kid to get under and scrub with cleaner and still and plastic brushes in all the nooks and crannies
Frame looks pretty darn good but not great. Rush on the inside of rear frame member and some surface rust randomly on frame. Overall frame solid and paint on most of frame looks good.

I plan to take it to local Waxoyl shop soon. Before that I want to do some more frame maintainence.... but what.

I am thinking about using Metal prep and POR 15 as spot treatment on the rust or bare metal then top coat it with por15's "Blackcote". Then put it back together and drive it to have waxoyled.
Originally was going to POR 15 the entire frame but it is >90 free of rust on exterior.
I think it might be waste or Worse to POR 15 over the frame.

I am not interested in frame off or sandblasting.

Suggestions appreciated.

Old March 6th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Gore Ranger
1989 RRC
POR15 would be pretty hard (and messy) to apply properly to the frame unless the body was off. Wire brush the light rust and then I would use spray paint rustoleum and then have it waxoyled. I have found that the POR15 looks like a million bucks at first but then it flakes off.

Old March 7th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
get a 4.5in angle grinder and a wire wheel tool and get it back to bare metal. Spray with rust converter in a can, then epoxy primer, then black top coat. Most frames rust inside out so hose through the whole thing and make sure no mud, dirt, etc is in there (and let it dry) before you waxoyl it.
*not legal advice*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions