Fractured exhaust manifold - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 25th, 2016, 02:14 PM
DocB
David
1989 D110

Fractured exhaust manifold

Well along with a few other issues that surfaced this morning, the #1 cylinder portion of the exhaust manifold on my 2.5Lpetrol fractured. I was expecting this but hoping for the best for a while. When I purchased the car in Italy it had a very incorrect settings for the carb and ended up detonating in the manifold, fracturing it. A friend and I welded it in a hurry as I needed to ship it to the US the following day. It's not the best weld job in the first place, but what hakes it super awesome is that we couldn't get out hands on any rods suitable for welding cast iron. A lot of people told us that it was impossible. Well it worked.... until now.

I plan to keep this car for a long time and I don't plan to repurchase parts. For example, something breaks, replace it with a performance part so I don't end up replacing a new part later when I want to upgrade.

On to the question...
Is there a point to trying to find/create a performance exhaust manifold for a 2.5L petrol? I've found an original replacement for just under $300, and an aftermarket for $75. From those options, I'll definitely go with the aftermarket. I'm broke AF lol. I've also found a "performance" tubular exhaust online for something like 400gbp. I think I could just shop around and have someone fab something for that price. Thoughts?

tl:dr version:
Is anything but the stock exhaust worth the money on a 2.5 petrol?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I doubt a different manifold would make any difference. IMO, be very skeptical of any and all performance claims made with modifications to these engines.... Just keep it stock and be happy with the power or move onto a different engine.

The only improvement I would ever try would be TBI.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 25th, 2016, 02:29 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I'm with red.

"Is there a point to trying to find/create a performance exhaust manifold for a 2.5L petrol?"

If you are really "broke AF" then you really shouldn't be entertaining this line of thought.

Buy the cheap mani, save your money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2016, 02:32 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

David:
You may be describing engine pre-detonation which mentioned in another thread is very bad and will eventually wreck the engine.
Curious to why this is not something you tried to fix.
You can set the ignition timing with a 12V light bulb during the day and don't even need it at all in night time darkness.
Robert

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 25th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
David:
You may be describing engine pre-detonation which mentioned in another thread is very bad and will eventually wreck the engine.
Curious to why this is not something you tried to fix.
You can set the ignition timing with a 12V light bulb during the day and don't even need it at all in night time darkness.
Robert
In another thread, he did say he adjusted static timing and idle mixture before this. The problem is elsewhere.

Be interesting to see what is what with the head off....

Old January 25th, 2016, 02:43 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
In another thread, he did say he adjusted static timing and idle mixture before this. The problem is elsewhere.

could be that the engine ran prior for a long time with bad timing. It's hard to tell with these third, fourth or even fifth hand trucks.
Old January 25th, 2016, 02:52 PM
DocB
David
1989 D110

Quote:
The only improvement I would ever try would be TBI.
Buy the cheap mani, save your money.
Thanks for the input guys, very true. Going with the aftermarket parts and using the extra money for head gasket replacement

Quote:
I'm super interested in how to do this!

Quote:
I think I'm just going to suck it up and realize that I'm not going to be able to drive her for a while. I'll clean out a spot in the garage and start tearing apart tonight. Photos to come lol

------ Follow up post added January 25th, 2016 11:58 AM ------

jeez I'm needy... can somebody help me find head studs/bolts? I get everything from RimmerBros usually, they don't have anything listed for the 2.5 Petrol
Old January 25th, 2016, 03:04 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
I'm super interested in how to do this!
Because it has a points ignition, you can set the static timing with a test lead. That method might be in the manual.

It is pretty cheap to change to electronic ignition if you want, but you do lose that ability.

Could not hurt to pull the points base off and see if both advance springs are intact and functional.

Old January 25th, 2016, 03:04 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Are 2.5 head bolts even stretch? I could have sworn the earlier 2.25 bolts are reusable.
Old January 25th, 2016, 03:09 PM
DocB
David
1989 D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Are 2.5 head bolts even stretch? I could have sworn the earlier 2.25 bolts are reusable.
Good point, not sure. It's pretty difficult to find out specs for the 2.5 petrol because it's so similar to the diesel motors a lot of people assume its the same, but it's not all compatible
Old January 25th, 2016, 03:13 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
The manual says "use new bolts", but you are right, they just give a torque and not a stretch procedure.

Old January 25th, 2016, 03:52 PM
DocB
David
1989 D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
Good point, not sure. It's pretty difficult to find out specs for the 2.5 petrol because it's so similar to the diesel motors a lot of people assume its the same, but it's not all compatible
For example...
598473 | Exhaust Manifold 4cyl - 4cyl Petrol - Paddock Spares

It's listed for Series 2 & 3 trucks. No product for a 2.5 Petrol in a defender.

------ Follow up post added January 25th, 2016 01:00 PM ------

Quote:
The manual says "use new bolts", but you are right, they just give a torque and not a stretch procedure.
Still cant find a bolt set anywhere!
Old January 25th, 2016, 04:01 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Online part catalog here: Allbrit.de - Ersatzteile für LAND ROVER & MG ROVER

Two possible manifolds.

- Manifold assembly-engine exhaust - conical bore ERC9071 [ 2500 cc - L/R - 4 Cylinder - Petrol ]

- Manifold assembly-engine exhaust - parallel sided bore ETC5330 [ 2500 cc - Petrol ]

Old January 25th, 2016, 04:07 PM
DocB
David
1989 D110

I'm pretty sure that it's a compatible one. I don't know what the difference would be for a conical or parallel manifold however. I'm going to call Paddock tomorrow and see if they can help out

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
exhaust, ac