Fox Shocks vs. Bilsteins - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 15th, 2012, 01:43 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Fox Shocks vs. Bilsteins

I don't have the model number of the fox shocks but they don't come with an additional resevoir. How hard are they to rebuild and do folks prefer them over HD bilsteins or...
Thanks in advance...I know it is kind of a vague question.
Clay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Jake1996d1
Jake
96 Disco/88 RRC

I like the Fox shocks I have on my disco - rebuilding doesnt seem difficult although I havent done it myself I saved this video for the day when I would have to -
Old May 15th, 2012, 11:43 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I just bought a pair of Fox Emulsion 2.0 Non-Res for the fronts. I haven't installed them yet (as I am piling some parts together and will do a full front end fix and clean-up) and cannot comment on how they work yet. But they do look bitchin'!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Have them on all fours and love them ...

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old May 17th, 2012, 06:49 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

The Fox are IMO (and I have used abused and broken both the Fox 2.0 em and the comparable Bilstien 7100) much easier to rebuild and factory support is much better. I have not broken a Fox shock yet but I have broken several Bilstiens. The finish on the Fox shock is much more durable.
I'm not sure that there is an appreciable difference in actual dampening performance. The Bilstien has very poor bottoming protection, so you need to make sure that is sorted properly as even a light bottoming / topping can cause damage. I have experienced fade in the non reservoir versions under heavy use.....they get really really hot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old May 17th, 2012, 09:34 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
The Fox are IMO (and I have used abused and broken both the Fox 2.0 em and the comparable Bilstien 7100) much easier to rebuild and factory support is much better. I have not broken a Fox shock yet but I have broken several Bilstiens. The finish on the Fox shock is much more durable.
I'm not sure that there is an appreciable difference in actual dampening performance. The Bilstien has very poor bottoming protection, so you need to make sure that is sorted properly as even a light bottoming / topping can cause damage. I have experienced fade in the non reservoir versions under heavy use.....they get really really hot.
Matt - fade on the non-res Bilsteins or Fox or both?
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:34 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

i hear Kings are the way to go. i think lucky8 sells em.
Old May 19th, 2012, 02:23 AM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Fox, King, Sway-A-Way, you really can't go wrong. I currently have Bilstein 7100's with remote reservoirs on my D90, and I do not care for them, or their construction. I had Sway-a-ways on my Disco. I liked them, and they are easy to rebuild and revalve. I think my D90 will be getting Fox Coil-overs next... for the sole reason of color.
Old May 19th, 2012, 06:57 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Matt - fade on the non-res Bilsteins or Fox or both?
In the non reservoir versions both would suffer if valved heavily enough to almost work on a heavily sprung Range Rover.
As Madcow has mentioned, the higher end shocks by SwayAway, King, Fox and even Bilstien will offer a huge increase in performance, but a huge increase in price.
In a more convention shock the Koni "raid" offers surprising performance. I have installed some on a customer rig (D90) and am quite surprised by the performance. They are non bling and simple and priced somewhere between the standard and high end at I think about $250 ea, plus they are a bolt in. Some of the higher end shocks will require additional work and expense to mount efficiently.
I thought the 6k in suspension I have on my race bike was steep......buddy of mine just did a Ford Ranger pre runner and spent $2500 per corner on King coilovers and bypass shocks.......just for the hardware, and he still needs another $1000 in frigging bumpstops!

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old May 19th, 2012, 01:07 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
In the non reservoir versions both would suffer if valved heavily enough to almost work on a heavily sprung Range Rover.
It depends on the type of wheeling that's been done. I am 100% remote reservoir on any rig that I own. If you are just doing slow rock crawling, basic trail riding and DD'ing then you should get by on emulsion shocks no problem. If you are running harder trails on a heavily loaded truck or at speed on rough terrain, then the remote-reservoir setup is definitely the way to to.
Old August 31st, 2015, 01:05 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Going to revive this. I saw some comments on here about remote reservoir. What is the benefit of having a remote reservoir. Please forgive me as I am new in trying to dial up my suspension.
Old August 31st, 2015, 01:36 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
I'ma Fox dude... remote resi front/rear on my disco. Love the setup. Necessary? No... you likely won't ever see a need in daily driving for a remote res setup. Helps with heat dissipation
Old August 31st, 2015, 01:39 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
In a monotube shock, the biggest advantage of a remote reservoir is that it gives extra travel in the same form factor, as it moves the pressurized air and dividing piston out of the shock body and into the reservoir.

What the pros care about is whether or not the rebound and compression are adjustable, and how these parameters can vary along the travel of the shock. If you want to have the best of the best, then get a shock with 8 bypass tubes and a 1 inch thick shaft. You'll pay a lot of money and you'll feel better about yourself as a person as you drive to the grocery store.

Or just buy cheap shocks.
Old August 31st, 2015, 01:53 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

So a question about Fox shocks, which ones would pair with OME Medium duty rear and Heavy duty front springs?

I hate the terrafirm setup i have now and will be swaping it out, i need 1-2" lift.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old August 31st, 2015, 02:18 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynch356 View Post
So a question about Fox shocks, which ones would pair with OME Medium duty rear and Heavy duty front springs? I hate the terrafirm setup i have now and will be swaping it out, i need 1-2" lift.
Nothing wrong with the OME shocks with your set up.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 31st, 2015, 02:24 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

that was my go to option (just buy a HD Kit and resuse my medium duty rears and if needed i can swap them for HD)
just wanted to get an option on fox shocks.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old August 31st, 2015, 02:36 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If planning to purchase shocks in the normal price range, just get the Koni SPX shocks. They are much better than the run of the mill shocks like OME.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 31st, 2015, 03:16 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
If for some reason you feel compelled to spend more than $100 / shock, I would really recommend going with the Fox 2.0 Rebuildable.

I bought the OME nitrochargers for the front of my truck and I regret the decision badly. Not because they are bad shocks, but because they are overpriced.

For $20 more, I could have bought full alloy Fox 2.0 Rebuildables that don't rust like the Bilsteins.

I put $45 Racho 5012's on the rear of my truck and I don't regret it at all.
Old August 31st, 2015, 04:29 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
SO what about those FOX shocks rovers north has been pushing? They are direct fit, I dont have interest in changing out shock mounts etc.

Ive never heard anything bad about Koni shocks, maybe its because so few are using them. ive got some leaking OME shocks on both of my Rovers. The FOX get a lot of respect and the bolt in and go that Rovers North is selling are very appealing.

Some cursory reading on the interweb suggests that the OME are re-branded Monroe, I see lots of yellow Monroe shocks.
Old August 31st, 2015, 04:38 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
SO what about those FOX shocks rovers north has been pushing? They are direct fit, I dont have interest in changing out shock mounts etc. Ive never heard anything bad about Koni shocks, maybe its because so few are using them. ive got some leaking OME shocks on both of my Rovers. The FOX get a lot of respect and the bolt in and go that Rovers North is selling are very appealing.
Are the RN shocks rebuildable 2.0's?

Fox, like every manufacturer, makes several lines of non-rebuildable shocks that are essentially no different from a cheap Monroe or KYB.

IMHO, the bare minimum buy-in on Fox shocks are the rebuildable 2.0's. Anything less and you might as well buy a no name gas charged shock. Seriously.

And we will all respect you no matter what decision you make. Unless you plan on running KOH with your truck...in which case we might make better suggestions on a shock.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bilstein