Fox Shocks vs. Bilsteins - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 31st, 2015, 03:41 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
SO what about those FOX shocks rovers north has been pushing? They are direct fit, I dont have interest in changing out shock mounts etc.

Ive never heard anything bad about Koni shocks, maybe its because so few are using them. ive got some leaking OME shocks on both of my Rovers. The FOX get a lot of respect and the bolt in and go that Rovers North is selling are very appealing.

I ran them for a while on my diesel D1 before switching to my 11" 2.0 R/Rs. Loved the ride coupled with genuine springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Are the RN shocks rebuildable 2.0's? Fox, like every manufacturer makes several lines of non rebuildable shocks that are essentially no different from a cheap Monroe or KYB. iMHO The bare minimum buy-in on Fox shocks are the rebuildable 2.0's. Anything less and you might as well buy a no name gas charged shock. Seriously. And we will all respect you no matter what decision you make. Unless you plan on running KOH with your truck...in which case we might make better suggestions on a shock,
No, they are not. While I believe they are a better design than those internally and externally, they are essentially the same idea.

The 2.0s are great, but do not offer the same appeal of plug & play. I fully understand why you prefer them, I do as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2015, 03:42 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I was wondering, I was waiting for someone else to determine what they were before I bought them. A quick look on the RN site suggests these are the 2.0's. I got no use for those heim joints on the upper end Bilsteins or Fox shocks. I had heim end links on my Honda sway bar, I threw those bastards off a bridge and went with OEM.
Old August 31st, 2015, 03:49 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Sorry, they are 2.0, just IFP design.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 31st, 2015, 03:51 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Kindof regretting hopping back into this. I am thinking I might just replace my current OME shocks and be happy with it!! You guys know your crap.
Old August 31st, 2015, 04:08 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Eventually I plan on installing Koni Raids on my D-90 - I've run Konis on all of my Porsches and several other vehicles and I don't think there is a better off the shelf shock. I've broken a couple of Bilsteins too.
Old August 31st, 2015, 04:49 PM
fishEH
Brett Fritzler
94, 95, 96 D1's

Fox heims can be replaced with polyurethane bushings from OffRoad Warehouse.

Check out the Yellow body/blue boot Bilsteins. I have them on my 96 D1 with OME springs. I really like the ride. They've got to be 7+ years old and are still good, I just replaced the bushings.
Old August 31st, 2015, 08:54 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i blew those yellow bilsteins to bits in short time on my RRC, the OMEs on the rear are both leaking but appear to be doing thier job for the most part. the fox from RN are at the top of the list, not much info out there on the KONI stuff. id like a little longer shock for the little bitty tires i run on that truck, an extra 2" makes such a big difference ya know
Old August 31st, 2015, 09:21 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

So here is another stupid question. I bought my truck with a 2" OME setup. I plan to replace the shocks. Anyone know the spec length that the 2" lift requires? I'm assuming it could really be the same length as stock, but figured it was with the ask.
Old August 10th, 2016, 08:10 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Any update on this?

I am buying full new suspension soon and the Fox are on my radar for $500 from RN. My other consideration is OEM which are considerably cheaper.

OEM springs. Are the bearmach any good? They are a couple hundred less then the OEM at around $200/set

Any opinions?

Also bushing recommendations? I would think OEM but I hear install is a real pain vs SuperPro? Thinking maybe new engine mounts too.

Thanks
Adam
Old August 10th, 2016, 08:51 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Old Man Emu matched shocks and springs are a nice package.

OEM shocks are woodheads and tend to be lame

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 10th, 2016, 08:54 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
91' D90 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Old Man Emu matched shocks and springs are a nice ackage
My uses will be street and beach mostly. Thinking about adding sway bars too.
Old August 10th, 2016, 09:02 PM
oilburner
JL
large pile of parts

Just to add to this, I recently put a set of the Fox 2.0 IFP shocks on my 80 series cruiser. They are the same as what Rovers North is selling but for the Toyota application. So far I like them. They were cheap, are direct-fit, and have poly bushings instead of rod ends. My experience with rod ends is that they usually loosen up or corrode if you run your truck in the salt, so I prefer the regular OEM bushing connection. They work better on a lighter rig than the OMEs and they have an integrated bump stop that probably wouldn't take a hard hit, but works well enough for low speed articulation.

The difference in handling between these and the previous too-short and worn-out Bilsteins is night and day, but that's probably more because the last shocks were toast.

Only thing I don't like is they are intended to be mounted with the shaft pointing down and they don't have a covered shaft, it's out in the open. They sell a hokey looking plastic shock guard but it looks like it would last about 3 minutes before getting ripped off. I'm worried about the shafts getting sandblasted over time and leaking.

Oh yeah - The Fox are "factory rebuildable" - Which is pretty much a load of bull since a factory rebuild is half the cost of new shocks. Then again, I would probably not rebuild them myself, so paying extra for rebuildable shocks wasn't worth if for my beater 80 series.
Diesel-swapped 1994 80 series Land-cruiser
And a difflocked 4wd turbodiesel Lambo
Old August 10th, 2016, 09:25 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
IFP describes all of Fox's monotubes.

Out of curiosity, which IFP did you buy? Fox makes a cheap "Adventure Series", a middle line "Factory Series" (slowly being replaced with the "Evolution"), and a higher line "Performance Series."

The "Adventure Series" is way overpriced, and performs about the same as a Monroe or KYB gas charged shock.

I guess it's hard to resist the credibility enhancing paint job and performance enhancing sticker on the Foxes.
Old August 10th, 2016, 09:28 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I had my FOX 2.0 emulsions rebuilt a couple years ago. They were so corroded that the guys at Downsouth Motorsports had to bring them over to a machine shop to cut out the end caps on a lathe. They sent me the cut out parts just for shits and giggles. Total cost to rebuild 4 including a new shaft for one shock was $275 plus my cost to ship them out there. I would do that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
Just to add to this, I recently put a set of the Fox 2.0 IFP shocks on my 80 series cruiser. They are the same as what Rovers North is selling but for the Toyota application. So far I like them. They were cheap, are direct-fit, and have poly bushings instead of rod ends. My experience with rod ends is that they usually loosen up or corrode if you run your truck in the salt, so I prefer the regular OEM bushing connection. They work better on a lighter rig than the OMEs and they have an integrated bump stop that probably wouldn't take a hard hit, but works well enough for low speed articulation.

The difference in handling between these and the previous too-short and worn-out Bilsteins is night and day, but that's probably more because the last shocks were toast.

Only thing I don't like is they are intended to be mounted with the shaft pointing down and they don't have a covered shaft, it's out in the open. They sell a hokey looking plastic shock guard but it looks like it would last about 3 minutes before getting ripped off. I'm worried about the shafts getting sandblasted over time and leaking.

Oh yeah - The Fox are "factory rebuildable" - Which is pretty much a load of bull since a factory rebuild is half the cost of new shocks. Then again, I would probably not rebuild them myself, so paying extra for rebuildable shocks wasn't worth if for my beater 80 series.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old August 10th, 2016, 10:47 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Still love my Fox 2.0 remotes. They were pricey, but still perform excellent and the adjustability made the road manners much better after removing the sway bars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 10th, 2016, 11:10 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Bilstein 7100s revalved for the defender with bushings instead of heims. Nuff said.
Old August 10th, 2016, 11:32 PM
Tyler Wirken
Tyler Wirken
1997 Defender 90 LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadeus View Post
Bilstein 7100s revalved for the defender with bushings instead of heims. Nuff said.

Care to share what valving you have found best? Also more info on the bushings?

Thanks!
Old August 11th, 2016, 12:33 AM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
You can order the valving when you buy the shocks at no charge. The heims are held in with a clip and can be pressed out or you can order them without them.

The bushings just fit in (split bushing type) and can be ordered at same time. I found the valving values on an old thread on pirate from the SG era. 400/100 I believe and can double check that if you need me too. On a d90 wagon it is perfect for off-road and on imho.

By the way you can also put on foam cell type shock travel limiters which I highly recommend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1458804591.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	495.0 KB
ID:	155413   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1709180741.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	521.3 KB
ID:	155414  

Old August 11th, 2016, 01:36 AM
Psimpson7
Pete Simpson
2014 D90, 2001 D90, 1983 Stage 1 v8

I run 12" SB remote 7100's all round on my play D90.

I initially specced them with 360/80 valving but it was woefully under damped on the rear.

I revalved the rears to 400/100 and also bumped up the oil weight to 10w (I believe std is somewhere around 7.5)

They are so stiff now you basically cannot compress them at all by hand

After refitting them the car was 10x better. It is remarkably good now.

We made some custom pins for the bottom but made custom upper mounts, and also custom turrets for the front

Old August 11th, 2016, 01:39 AM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Forgot to mention that I am running 14" short bodies front and rear.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bilstein