Fox Shock Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 26th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90
Fox Shock Question

I have been reading through old threads for a couple hours now, and have read a lot of info on fox and bilstien shocks. I know somewhere on this board my question has been answered, but I have not found it.

I am running RTE 2" springs with EE retainers. I am currently on Rancho 9000 and am wanting to upgrade. I do drive the defender on the street pretty regular, but it is mainly an off road toy, and family camping rig. My question is what bilstien and fox shocks can I run with this set up? Also, what valving would you recommend? Currently my fronts are 9.5 travel and rears are 12" travel. I have no sway bars, RTE rear links, and new RTE radius arms on the way. Trying to maximize performance. Thanks

That is why it is called a short cut. If it was easy it would just be "the way."
Old May 27th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Oliver Whiting
Oliver Whiting
84 110, 94 NAS90,Bunch of EX-mods

Call Bilstien and tell them what you are up to. They will give you the number to the off road tech guys in California. I had the names and numbers but cannot find them. These guys will talk your ear off but know all the numbers for valving and length. It's a pretty firm shock valving for stock springs but you have a heavy version spring and the valving may need to be reduced a bit.

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:28 AM
James Pierce
James Pierce Jr.
1995 D90 SW #314, 59 SII 88 HT
I was running 10" FOX remote reservoir on my 94 at all four corners. They were valved at 85/95 but I was running OME springs and don't know how their spring rates compare to your RTE's. I wonder if your actually cycling the full 12" in the rear. I had EE's spring retainers too and a properly positioned 10" was long enough. I also had a custom 3 link in the front a was able to cycle a full 10" there too. Without drop out cones in the rear I would question needing a 12" rear shock. I would take off all your shocks and measure your extended and compressed lengths before ordering anything.

Hope this helps

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions