Fox shock help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 19th, 2009, 04:27 PM
snurp
Keith Kuboske
94 D90 ST Arles Blue

Fox shock help

Know some of you guys will know the answer as have seen some fox 2.0 with reseviors being run on d90's. Will this shock with 14 inch travel work on the rear with rovertyme shock mounts and old man emu hd setup? To use these in the front know have to stay 10 inch to keep from cutting. Does anyone still make the shock mounts for the front that allows the shock to reside outside the spring? Any problems with this type of setup. Would rte 3" springs be better to use withis setup?
Thanks
Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2009, 04:47 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

You could get a set of RRC (airbag suspension) front shock mounts and bolt them on. I have a set I took off my RRC if you want them (PM Me). They mount in front of the shock and use the steering box bolts to hold them on. You would need to fab a bottom mount onto the axle but that would be easy.
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:29 PM
snurp
Keith Kuboske
94 D90 ST Arles Blue

If regular shock travel is 8", then add ome lift, 33x 12.5x15 tires plus rovertyme rear shock mounts, are 14 inch travel shocks be to much for the rear.

Thanks
Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2009, 07:31 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
12" would prob be more than enough. You have to measure. With rockware rear mounts, you can go with the 14"ers
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by snurp
If regular shock travel is 8", then add ome lift, 33x 12.5x15 tires plus rovertyme rear shock mounts, are 14 inch travel shocks be to much for the rear.

Thanks
Keith
Are you retaining the rear springs? If so, anything over a 10 is most likely unnecessary.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 19th, 2009, 10:30 PM
snurp
Keith Kuboske
94 D90 ST Arles Blue

The plan was to retain springs from rte. Talked with Jordan at RTE. He said may work, but probaly needed to stay between 10 and 12 becuase the 14's may bottom out. Said to try but may blow out the seals. Thought a couple guys had run 14's with rte 3" in the past. Hate to haveto rebuild then resell a pair of shocks.
Thanks for any info
Keith
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
The plan was to retain springs from rte. Talked with Jordan at RTE. He said may work, but probaly needed to stay between 10 and 12 becuase the 14's may bottom out. Said to try but may blow out the seals. Thought a couple guys had run 14's with rte 3" in the past. Hate to haveto rebuild then resell a pair of shocks.
Thanks for any info
Keith
Thats what I thought. Heres the thing, you don't need them because you won't be using the extra travel. If you want to because your going to upgrade your suspension later, or for the bling factor, there are these super cool bump stops that you can get from poly performance that you can slide over the end of your shock and use for bumpstops. I can post a pic if you want. Thats what I would do if you go the 14s. Or even the 12s as they are always a good idea.

Cheers

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 20th, 2009, 08:47 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

Quote:
Know some of you guys will know the answer as have seen some fox 2.0 with reseviors being run on d90's. Will this shock with 14 inch travel work on the rear with rovertyme shock mounts and old man emu hd setup? To use these in the front know have to stay 10 inch to keep from cutting. Does anyone still make the shock mounts for the front that allows the shock to reside outside the spring? Any problems with this type of setup. Would rte 3" springs be better to use withis setup?
Thanks
Keith
I'd imagine the off the shelf RT rear mounts with a 3" spring will work fine with a 12" shock. I go that route especially if you are going to have 10" in the stock location in the front, keep the overall suspension a bit more balanced. It's more work to put a 14" in FWIW.
Old January 20th, 2009, 06:41 PM
snurp
Keith Kuboske
94 D90 ST Arles Blue

Thanks guys...think I better get a pair of 12"s to put on and leave the 14's for another day. If use bumpstops, what is the jarring like when struck? Would 10's be better all the around instead? Would put exo mounts on the front, would they take 12's also without cutting the fenders?

Keith K.
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:44 AM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Hmm

I have a 3" lift with HD OME coils on the 110 and went with the 10" 2.0 Fox (non remote reservoir). It was recommended by Keith at Rovertracks with rear 2" higher mounts. All coils are all retained and for what I have seen so far its a sensible solution.

My 0.02$

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:23 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
whats a good front shock for a 2" rym lift? OME? are they long enough for the 2" lift? Rancho? Suggestions?
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:33 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
whats a good front shock for a 2" rym lift? OME? are they long enough for the 2" lift? Rancho? Suggestions?
Fox really is the best shock for the money you can buy. Don't know if that helps.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old January 27th, 2009, 01:01 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
What lenght though?
Old January 27th, 2009, 09:13 AM
snurp
Keith Kuboske
94 D90 ST Arles Blue

I think consenus is 10 to 12 inch. Old man emu really is not a 3" lift. RTE is plus. 10 would be more than enough for ome , 12 for rte. Pretty sure 10 is all front can handle without exo mounts or mod to fender wells.
Keith

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions