Found good/cheap Sound Control & Insulator - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 16th, 2009, 01:12 PM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

Found good/cheap Sound Control & Insulator

FYI- not sure if anyone else has tried the product...

Metal duct insulation by Frost King; purchased at local HVAC supply and can also be found at Lowe's. Self adhesive foil and foam (closed cell; not bubble wrap or fiberglass), 1/8" thick, R-3. Costs $14 for a 12"x15' long roll. I placed it (4 rolls) behind the dash, footwells, door panels; floors (under mats), seat/battery boxes, under console, behind all vinyl trim, everywhere I could where it wouldn't be seen. I also installed it under the bonnet. Works very well, solid sounding doors, no vibrating panels, interior is substantally quieter/warmer...note that I removed the foil facing in areas where I wanted to double it up, or where I needed to use adhesive to reinstall/glue vinyl trim...adhesive does not stick well to foil. I also took care to clean/wipe down the surfaces before installing.

Not a butyl or asphalt based product...so no smell. So far it has all stayed in place, even under the hood, and can be removed without leaving any residue.

I have used Dynamat in my other vehicles; while it seems to be a superior product, I would not use it again vs the duct insulation...cost, ease of installation, and performance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2009, 03:18 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Wow sounds very affordable too. And no issues withstanding heat?
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:41 PM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

no problem so far with heat under the bonnet...I've driven some long distances, 70 degree weather, normal engine temps, the material is staying in place. Noticed that the transmission trunk is cool to the touch.

The material is designed for insulating and reducing vibration in HVAC metal ducting.

enjoy,

Paul

Follow-up Post:

Follow -up...

The material is designed for insulating and reducing vibration in HVAC metal ducting. It is probably not designed to withstand as much heat as the engine compartment can put out, however, I don't see it as being a problem...we'll see once I can really test it off road, mid summer. I did test both the foil side and foam side under my heat gun, high setting. The foil side reflected the heat very well, (may be a problem for engine components), heat directly applied to the foam side only resulted in some minor bubbling...I could not get it to combust after 5 minutes...keep in mind that my heat gun would burn your skin under 5 seconds!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4050102.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	18834   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4160106.JPG
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	18835  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4100104.JPG
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	18837  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 17th, 2009, 12:42 AM
imola
John
97 D90 SW

I've always wondered that by putting the insulator/sound deadner, will it retain water under it?
Old April 17th, 2009, 08:27 AM
PMKColorado
Paul Koentges
'95 White D-90, #2625

I had the same concern...my D-90 does not have any rust. I took care to touch up any scratches before installing the material in areas where water could puddle and will check to see if condensation builds up. I soaked the material in water with very little if any absorption...probably the closed cell foam combined with adhesive. As long as your panel is very clean, the material can be installed, removed, reinstalled. The adhesive sticks to the foam side, not the panel. It looks to be a much better material than the stock vinyl/foam as water cannot accumulate if you take care to roll on the stuff (no air pockets)...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions