Forward Headliner - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 17th, 2016, 03:31 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Forward Headliner

How do you get this thing in?

(Prime example of why this job is taking me so long...)

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2016, 04:14 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
So, I did manage to get the headliner in place, but although the screws for the fold-down sun visors went in just as they should, the rest of the holes for the fittings don't line up at all now -- 1/2 inch off.

I'm not sure what's going on.

1965 IIa SWB
Old August 17th, 2016, 04:31 PM
ATX_D110
Victor
1985 RHD D110 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
So, I did manage to get the headliner in place, but although the screws for the fold-down sun visors went in just as they should, the rest of the holes for the fittings don't line up at all now -- 1/2 inch off. I'm not sure what's going on.
Felt that pain a couple weeks back installing my 2nd hand LaSalle. An extra set of hands help tremendously

Btw, did your rear view mirror holes line up?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1153491182.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	467.0 KB
ID:	155838  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 17th, 2016, 04:39 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Yes, mirror holes line up.

This whole project is kicking my butt with things like this. Feel my life-force slipping away. Worked on this truck for five hours today, and I have not done a single thing because everything I try doesn't work, is broken, is missing, is the wrong piece....

This is a good condition stock headliner.

Am I wrong, or isn't the seam between the forward and middle portions supposed to line up and be fastened to the roof? I had just assumed this would be the case, but that is a full 1.5 inches from where the seam now is.

1965 IIa SWB
Old August 17th, 2016, 05:10 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Any ideas here would be appreciated. I've pulled and installed this thing 3x now, and I can't get the holes to line up. The center piece lines up fine. All of the screws up at the mirror and sun visors line up fine, but the rear end of the front headliner piece is so far off that I'm measuring over 1.5 inches difference from what it was when I bought it. Its like a pair of jeans that have shrunk.

1965 IIa SWB
Old August 17th, 2016, 05:26 PM
ATX_D110
Victor
1985 RHD D110 (SOLD)

Did it come out of there to begin with?
Old August 18th, 2016, 06:52 AM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
Worked on this truck for five hours today, and I have not done a single thing because everything I try doesn't work, is broken, is missing, is the wrong piece....
Ha, this is why it took me two years to do what I thought would take six months when I rebuilt my truck and why my wife scoffs at me every time I tell her something "won't take that long"... Lol. You need to post pictures of what you are saying. Is it short by 1.5", I.e. too far forward? The front and middle sections are supposed to overlap by about that much. I seem to remember a similar issue and it I think the visors were actually in the wrong holes or something like that. It's been awhile since I did it tho.
Old August 18th, 2016, 05:23 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Yes... ^

So I just got it in satisfactorily. I got it into place, then found that by holding it, I must have been warping it enough that all of the plastic fittings were 1" too far forward from the holes; due to warping, I suppose.

So I got it into place, then strapped it around the roof, then was able to shift each corner to the right spot, and from there was able to put the fittings in. I think it turned out OK, but is sagging a bit more than I remember....

1965 IIa SWB
Old August 20th, 2016, 03:21 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Picture?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions