Forward Facing Bench in Hard-Top Defender - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 18th, 2015, 11:17 PM
Kobzya
Anton
None

Forward Facing Bench in Hard-Top Defender

Guys,

You know how the ST Defender 90 NAS has the forward-facing bench in the back instead of the inward facing seats. Has anyone done that in their hardtop D90, to make it more friendly for 4 people? I presume you can just tilt the front seats forward and let people climb into the back. If you have, what has your experience been with it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2015, 01:19 AM
drdread
AL
'94 NAS 90 SW

Registry
Interesting cos for years I always wondered how it'd be to have the inward facing on a st just to carry more and since when I quasi rocked my st my kids and their friends would love to sit over the wheel wells instead of the seat.
I never quite understood why sw had the inward 4 vs the bench for the st. Logic cannot convince me a rear bench is safer than inward seats in a st with seatbelts obviously.
The bench is definitely more long ride comfortable than the 4 inner facing ones. I will be keeping my bench in my sw conversion. Maybe upgrade to one of those fancy exmoor or puma or something if it'll fit with all my upgrades. But the bench is definitely cool with my occasional rear passengers.
Old February 19th, 2015, 07:16 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
To be honest, the stock rear facing seats are really comfortable. I've not sat back there long distance often but when I have I've always been pretty happy.

My three kids have been raised back there with no complaints. The exact opposite. They prefer we take the 90 over the 110 or suburban, especially the neighborhood friends, where we have them sit in the middle row.

The view from the rear facing seats is much nicer too.

It's rare that we travel with more than three back there. But if they aren't full size yet there's plenty of leg room.

I don't think climbing over the front seats is a good long term solution. I wouldn't want kids walking on the center console or the backs of the front seats. Mine learned to open that back door and climb up very quickly at a young age. Funny to watch them show their friends how to do it best.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 19th, 2015, 08:28 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

I installed a rear jeep CJ7 jump seat in my '71 IIA years ago. It folded up for storage space and could easily be removed too.
Old February 19th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Do a little pretending.
Go over to the passenger side, tilt the seat forward, slide it forward, now go ahead & get in the back.

Maybe I'm old and stiff, but this would be a total pain the butt!
Old February 19th, 2015, 01:26 PM
98 HOO
Josh Smith
1960 Series 2a/D90 Hybrid

Registry
I wanted forward facing seats, tied into and internal cage/frame and on top of a drawer. This is what I ended up with. I am 6' 1" and can sit in them comfortably, but would not want to be there in a roll over with the cage so close... I am thinking it will be good for the kids though. Best access is crawling over the center console, but you can squeeze in and out of the back too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141012_152606341_HDR.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	114147   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141012_152659707_HDR.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	114148  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141031_213108837.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	114149  
Old February 19th, 2015, 01:47 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Clay - what are the stock rear facing seats you are talking about?

I agree that going thru the front seats to get to the back seat is a pita and you will get shoe marks and the such on the center Tuffy and front seats. The rear door opens pretty wide and with a step mounted on the hitch easy for even adults to get in there. My plan on my 3 door 110 is to do a rear facing bench at the bulkhead and a pair of lock and fold near then rear door.
Old February 19th, 2015, 09:03 PM
Kobzya
Anton
None

That's good advice guys, bench is probably a bad idea haha.... Thanks!
Old February 20th, 2015, 07:47 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Clay - what are the stock rear facing seats you are talking about? I agree that going thru the front seats to get to the back seat is a pita and you will get shoe marks and the such on the center Tuffy and front seats. The rear door opens pretty wide and with a step mounted on the hitch easy for even adults to get in there. My plan on my 3 door 110 is to do a rear facing bench at the bulkhead and a pair of lock and fold near then rear door.
My bad Don. I should have said rear inward facing seats. I'm just talking stock rear seats in a 97SW.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 20th, 2015, 10:42 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 HOO View Post
I wanted forward facing seats, tied into and internal cage/frame and on top of a drawer. This is what I ended up with. I am 6' 1" and can sit in them comfortably, but would not want to be there in a roll over with the cage so close... I am thinking it will be good for the kids though. Best access is crawling over the center console, but you can squeeze in and out of the back too.
I hope to one day be able to look at that truck in person, Josh! That looks quite interesting. What are those two big amplifier looking things in the rear?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, bench, defender, top