forgive me - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 9th, 2005, 01:22 PM
TexasD-90
Martin Spencer
1994 D-90

forgive me

What is the purpose of the trailing arms?
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2005, 01:49 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
To keep you from driving away and leaving your axle.

Sorry, could resist.

Seriously, in conjunction with a-arm (upper link) they keep the axle from moving fore and aft and simultaneousy ensure that it cannot rotate forward or backward (that would seriously dork up the driveshaft). Basically, they restrict the axle's movement to up and down along the direction of suspension travel only.

Notice how the front axle arms accomplish the same thing with just two arms and no upper link? Thats becuse they bolt to the axle in two places (where as the trailing arms just connect at once place each). Naturally there is no room for an upper link with the engine and trans in the way*. The front arms are also much beefier since they are performing all axle-locating functions.

*some here have fitted a 3-link front suspension that does in fact use a center link in lieu of the two arms. these people are very clever.
Old December 9th, 2005, 04:46 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Notice how the front axle arms accomplish the same thing with just two arms and no upper link? Thats becuse they bolt to the axle in two places (where as the trailing arms just connect at once place each). Naturally there is no room for an upper link with the engine and trans in the way*. The front arms are also much beefier since they are performing all axle-locating functions.

*some here have fitted a 3-link front suspension that does in fact use a center link in lieu of the two arms. these people are very clever.[/QUOTE]

Or maybe the panhard rod helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2005, 05:41 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
Or maybe the panhard rod helps.
Sure it does, just as the a-arm in the rear helps prevent lateral movement along the axis of the axle. I would suggest the panhard rod's primary purpose is to prevent lateral movement of the axle.

Everything is clearly performing more than one function, but I dont think Texas D was looking for a force diagram of the suspension, I think he wanted to know what would happen if the trailing arms weren't present.
Old December 9th, 2005, 05:53 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Oh, sorry, I thought you said the front arms were performing all of the axle-locating functions.

Which might have given the wrong impression.
Old December 9th, 2005, 06:15 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
That definitely gives the wrong impression. Of course I meant "all except side to side."

As for you Randy, I suggest you remove your panhard rod since it performs no function

Follow-up Post:

BTW - that isnt supposed to be an x-mas happy raised to the second power - the devil-x-mas-smiley doesnt appear to be working.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions