For those running a single large battery - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 7th, 2012, 01:14 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
I don't know that its totally regional Charles so much as how the truck is used. I think I probably live in what is considered one of the driest parts of the country and yet I regularly get stuff in my batt. box even here. Monsoon season and spring runoff can suddenly turn creek beds that are bone dry normally into seat box high or higher torrents overnight. Many of our Ďtrailsí follow creek beds and to run the trail requires essentially running along in water for extended periods. You can run a trail on 2 consecutive days and find nothing 1 day and a fully flowing creek the next. So itís not something you can avoid if you wheel your truck.

There are also differences between the battery boxes. If you look at the pic of Chrisí box on his 94 and the one of my 97 below (ignore the dried mud), youíll notice that the holes are in different places. Also the tool mounts in mine for the jack and the tool roll are not present on Chrisí. You couldnít install Chrisí set up as it stands in my truck.

I guess it depends on what you do with your truck and most importantly the type of battery you have. If your battery is not 100% sealed with no chance of venting then I wouldnít put anything in there that you donít want to corrode, marine grade or otherwise. If you have a fully sealed battery and you never take your truck near water then youíll probably be OK. Still not something I would recommend though as you might change your battery at a later point or you might have to go out in that sudden summer thunder storm and cross that raging puddle to get into the mall parking lotÖ.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Batt Box.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	48671  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2012, 03:14 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearmonkey View Post
So you should leave the cutout holes open in the battery compartment to allow for air flow? I tried filling in most of them because offroad down here more closely resembles swimming.

These are what you need to keep an eye on most and keep clear. There is one on either end of the battery and the stock battery hold down uses them. They get little rocks and junk in the box underneath that traps mud and dirt which then blocks them up. If you keep them clear and open they will drain the box of any water that gets in.

If you leave one of the upper holes open (remove the grommet) then it will allow some air to circulate and dry things out better. The box is likely to get water in it whatever you do, even if itís just condensation when you seal it up. Itís when it canít get out you have a problem as Charles mentioned.

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Batt Drain.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	48699  
Old March 7th, 2012, 03:24 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Don't some Defenders have certain factory fuse panels and relays under the passenger seat compartment?

Which is probably one of the reasons that LR's recommended max wading depth is below the level of the seat boxes, yet how many of us religiously follow (or are always able to follow) that due to the demands of the terrain we sometimes wheel in?

The pass seat box is not the same as the Batt box. It has a removable drain plug rather than open drains. Water can and does still get in but less often and in less qty.

Ian

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
battery