Flush of Fuel System (tdi) - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 1st, 2015, 10:55 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Cracked the drain plug and no water came out. The color was consistent with that of diesel. I replaced the line to bypass everything as was suggested and there was no difference so any line blockages seem to be out of the equation. The stumbling and cutting out seems to start once the turbo comes in. It's spitting out a light colored smoke and it begins stumbling. Later today I'll grab a fresh gallon of diesel and run it straight to the lift pump to see if its the fuel. With regards to timing, I replaced the timing belt about 18 months ~ 10k miles ago so I'm not sure anything would've caused it to stretch or get the timing out of whack this much. Very puzzled at this point
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2015, 11:23 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Just a quickie.. pull the bowl on the sedimenter - they fill with .. guess what .! mine was 3/4 full of gloop even though I had tapped it off every service to check for water.

there is a service kit available comprising of a couple of O rings and copper washers, if the bowl has not been removed recently get the kit before you start as the big O ring at the top of the bowl is normally perished.

as an aside if its stumbling when the turbo kicks in this is when it wants more fuel .. sounds like the engine side lift pump diaphram is holed.

Regards
Gren
Old July 1st, 2015, 12:10 PM
Howski
Kevin

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gren_T View Post
Just a quickie.. pull the bowl on the sedimenter - they fill with .. guess what .! mine was 3/4 full of gloop even though I had tapped it off every service to check for water.
Tend to think that's not if as I had the same problems bypassing the sedimenter completely.
Checked the pickup in the tank and it was clear
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2015, 12:12 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Kevin, glad to see your 90 home with you!
Old July 1st, 2015, 12:50 PM
cjbenway
Chris Benway
1984 LR 90 ( Hedrick Rover )

Registry
Kevin, I had similar issues with my truck two years ago.
When the fuel filter was checked it was all clogged up with a rust color.
Turns out the fuel tank was rusting out. When I put in a new tank, fuel lines, and filter it ran like a champ. Thankfully the fuel injector system was good.
Hopefully this is not your problem.
Good luck!
Old July 1st, 2015, 05:49 PM
Howski
Kevin

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbenway View Post
Kevin, I had similar issues with my truck two years ago. When the fuel filter was checked it was all clogged up with a rust color. Turns out the fuel tank was rusting out. When I put in a new tank, fuel lines, and filter it ran like a champ
Believe I can rule out most of those being the culprit as the issue persisted when both the filter and sedimenter were bypassed. I'm led to think it's either the fuel itself or something downstream of the sedimenter - possibly clogged lift pump, injection pump or injectors. I'm still new to diesels so I'm at a bit of a loss for common issues with the above noted pieces.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 05:51 PM
Howski
Kevin

Registry
Ran a bit of clean diesel from a separate container through it and ran like a champ. I've got a feeling that the clowns at the storage place put petrol in the tank. Guess it'd be wise to purchase a 'diesel only' decal. Draining and refilling with additive tomorrow and she should be good to go
Old July 2nd, 2015, 06:44 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Bingo, nice.

Rovahfarm has the aluminum "diesel only" decal plate for the filler
Old July 2nd, 2015, 08:43 PM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Everyone should have one of these next to the filler.

Run a tank of biodiesel through it. Its more solvent and will help flush the system further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howski View Post
Ran a bit of clean diesel from a separate container through it and ran like a champ. I've got a feeling that the clowns at the storage place put petrol in the tank. Guess it'd be wise to purchase a 'diesel only' decal. Draining and refilling with additive tomorrow and she should be good to go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Old July 2nd, 2015, 11:54 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

As I explained to Kevin - diesel fuel gets a case of the "growies" (a biological form of algae that forms in the intercline between the fuel and the water that separates out when left sitting for an extended period). This green sludge can really gum up a diesel injection pump and injectors. A thorough flush and refill with a shot of Diesel-Kleen additive and new fuel filters will usually clear it up. Biodiesl will attack the fuel return tubing between the injectors unless you replace it with viton tubing (available from McMaster-Carr - I think it's 4mm but don't remember. Biodiesel does really clean out the fuel system though.
Old July 3rd, 2015, 12:15 AM
Tiktaalik
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS Defender 90
D-90 Source Vendor

Shouldn't the fuel filter take care of the algae? I assume you're running a filter. I upgraded to a 6" Stanadyne 2 micron filter.

It can take several years for the return lines to soften depending on what concentration and frequency which you run biodiesel so running a couple of tanks while your Viton hoses are on order should most likely not be a problem. The quality of the bio fuel may vary depending on your location so that's something to keep an eye on.
-
-
Old July 3rd, 2015, 09:29 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
Shouldn't the fuel filter take care of the algae? I assume you're running a filter. I upgraded to a 6" Stanadyne 2 micron filter.
No algae in the fuel system will not be taken care of by the fuel filter.
There will be some that passes through and some always left in the infected tank, no matter how much polishing takes place.

Note that a micron rating of say 2, is NOT a filter that traps all particulate 2 micron and larger, it is a rating based on the smallest average size of particulate trapped during MULTIPLE PASSES through the filter.

Knowing a human hair is about 60 micron, switching from a 8 micron to a 2 micron will have a "splitting hairs" effect on fuel system filtering.
A sedimenter will do more to trap small particulate, long before it gets to the filter no matter what size micron rating it has.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old July 5th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Howski
Kevin

Registry
Got it drained, refilled, added Diesel Kleen and its running like a champ. Thanks for the input everyone

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions