Fluids - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 16th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Palomino
Rico Palomino
1995 D90 SW #001

Fluids

OK. I know what the owners manual says to run for the diff's, tranny, and transfer case. but what do you run? Just wondering if anyone runs different fluids. The first time I changed my tranny fluid I was surprised that it took "type F " fluid instead of gear oil like my SIIa.
I also was told not to run synthetic gear oil in my front diff with an ARB air locker but that it was OK in the rear diff with the true trac. I just run regular gear oil in both to make it simple.
Any opinions?

Rico
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2010, 09:02 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Redline MTL in the transmission use the cheapest shit you can find for the rest of the driveline
Old October 16th, 2010, 09:33 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I run synthetic in everything, including my diffs and I have ARB's front and rear. I also run Molly Grease in the swivel balls.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2010, 10:22 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palomino View Post
OK. I know what the owners manual says to run for the diff's, tranny, and transfer case. but what do you run? Just wondering if anyone runs different fluids. The first time I changed my tranny fluid I was surprised that it took "type F " fluid instead of gear oil like my SIIa.
I also was told not to run synthetic gear oil in my front diff with an ARB air locker but that it was OK in the rear diff with the true trac. I just run regular gear oil in both to make it simple.
Any opinions?

Rico
specifically regarding the transmission -
I have 3 quarts of Amsoil Manual Syncromesh trans fluid that somebody gave me a few years ago I'm going to try in the R380 tomorrow, i'll post back my thoughts. I've also had good luck (with my TJ's NV3550) with Pennzoil's Syncromesh fluid too. They seem comparable to the MTL/Texaco MT85 or whatever the number was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
I run synthetic in everything, including my diffs and I have ARB's front and rear. I also run Molly Grease in the swivel balls.
This one? http://www.schaefferoil.com/238_moly_grease.html

What about a good marine-grade grease (bearing grease) in the swivels? I'm currently running oil and its not leaking, I'm just curious what people thought.
Old October 17th, 2010, 02:43 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

just put 3 quarts of this http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtf.aspx in (jacked up the RHD drivers side).

Shifting seems smoother, not sure if its placebo or not but I'm satisfied.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions