Fluid loss trouble shoot... little help here??!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 31st, 2010, 05:24 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Fluid loss trouble shoot... little help here??!!

Hey guys. I am shooting this out before I dig around troubleshooting as the last time I did that it cost an entire saturday to find I just had a bad shock bushing.

Here is what I am getting. I thought I had a bad drive shaft as it was shuddering a bit under power just like my wife's disco did recently. I got underneath it and noticed a great deal of fluid (Oil??) near the transmission. When driving it shifts fine, but gives off this scraping noise under power like a bearing is rubbing or metal is hitting and it is not constant. Its like something is out of round and is hitting once every rotation. It was worse when turning one way at first, and then it was would not make any noise at all when it was shuddering. While underneath I noticed the drain and fill plugs are in both the tranny and the transfer case. As I was done I decided to check the oil level. I noticed I am way low, so I topped it off with some oil and have not driven it since. It does not look as if the fluid underneath is a large amount but is also no dripping on my garage floor to much. As if to say it might be almost out. What do you guys think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2010, 08:26 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
coming from the t-case or the transmission

have you checked all your fluids? It may be worth just buying a couple gallons of 90wt and some Redline MTL and getting a little messy looking at the bottom of your truck.
Old October 31st, 2010, 10:28 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

To be perfectly honest I really have not idea. There is simply a ton of fluid on the underside of the truck between the engine and the e brake area. I am noticing the fluid at both the tranny and what looks to me to be the transfer case. Am I under the correct understanding that engine oil actually overflows into the tranny and transfer case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2010, 04:35 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

you should clean under well and wait till next day to see where the oil is coming from. Do you have a wading plug on ?
Old November 1st, 2010, 08:30 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Fill all fluids first, then clean up underneath, then drive and observe frequently before it gets blown all over the place.
Old November 1st, 2010, 09:19 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
To be perfectly honest I really have not idea. There is simply a ton of fluid on the underside of the truck between the engine and the e brake area. I am noticing the fluid at both the tranny and what looks to me to be the transfer case. Am I under the correct understanding that engine oil actually overflows into the tranny and transfer case?

NO-very wrong. The engine oil is only in the engine. The transmission oil is different than the engine oil and has its own fill and drain plugs-as suggested Redline MTL is the preffered lube there, the transfer case again has its own fill and drain plugs and uses yet another heavier oil 75w90 synthetic preffered there as well. Get yourself an owners manual or better yet a shop manual and do some reading before you get under the truck again or perhaps you should have it taken to a shop. You are @ what is potentially or possibly already past a very expensive juncture.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 1st, 2010, 11:55 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Odds are your cross seals are bad and it is leaking out of the back of the motor coming out down the front of the bell housing and blowing backwards.

I would guess your problem is a bad CV based on the other facts presented. In any event, Doug's advice is good, you need to check and see that everything is full: Engine, trans, t-case, swivel balls, axles, PS res -- ie 8 things to check (ought to do coolant and brake fluid too while you are poking around).
Old November 1st, 2010, 12:40 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I just took it to a mechanic a few minutes ago. I decided after starting to drain and check stuff yesterday that I was better off getting it in the right hands. Frustrating thing is I just got it back from a guy who supposedly looked everything over good while inspecting the clutch. Oh well.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 10:50 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Well my truck is not fixed because the problem may not be what we all think it is.

My mechanic (whom I really do trust) who is also not a LR specific mechanic, thinks it is actually the push bearing in the clutch. He did not have a lift to fix it, so he sent me to a close friend of his. His logic is this. Sounded like a clutch bearing for starters. Fluids are good in the Tranny/T-case. He also said if it had a tranny or tcase issue it would quickly become un-drivable. The clutch recently dumped all its fluid and the LR specialized mechanic could not find out why, but simply replace the fluids and such. Taking it to a tranny shop today to get the bearing looked at.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 11:20 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
that makes sense. the clutch slave cylinders are a frequent failure part and its located where it would leave a puddle such as you described.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 12th, 2010, 03:51 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Hello All- Thought I would give a short follow up on the status of my truck. The vibration problem was a drive shaft with bearings going out. The clutch fluid etc was actually the master cylinder. I apparently have about 70% wear on my engine mounts and my tranny mounts. With that said I took it to my somewhat newly trusted independent LR mechanic and he called me with a $1,800 tab. Instead of taking the title and the keys to him I went and got it. I took it to a local guy with no LR experience that I absolutely trust. He got the clutch done and D-shaft for $500. Told me his experience with motor and tranny mounts is that they will fail but slowly and less explosively like the first guy warned (he said my engine would literally fall out). He recommended I keep a weekly eye on it and get back to him if they start looking like the failure is progressing quicker than slower.
Old November 12th, 2010, 08:02 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Motor and transmission mounts are not that hard to do, some people are using a Jaguar motor mount that is quite a bit beefier than the stock rover mount.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions