Florida to Colorado - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old September 10th, 2016, 06:17 PM
Ncrover725's Avatar
Ncrover725
Status: Offline
Bobby
1985 110
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Niceville, FL
Posts: 635
Registry
Florida to Colorado

I will be moving from Florida to Colorado Springs after the new year. I have read best practices for preparing a Land Rover for winter conditions. I am looking at my 300tdi 110 and the wife's 2.5 petrol 90 soft top.

The take away appear pretty common sense..
Good battery, renew anti-freeze, lighter weight lubricants, ensure glow plugs on the tdi are good. Beyond those is there any nice to know those in the area have learned (heated seats, heated headlamps, ect...)

Does anyone run a soft top in Colorado / snow areas?
__________________
Bobby
1985 110 5 Door
1991 90
1998 D1 (Sold)
1971 109 3 Door (Sold)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old September 10th, 2016, 07:44 PM
xplorUtah's Avatar
xplorUtah
Status: Online
Andrew P
1960 SII
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Park City, UT
Posts: 1,081
Registry
Congrats! Ever been? I would think a ST would be fine. On the Eastern side I think they run more salt and chemicals on the highway. Wax oil might be a good investment.

Head out towards Carbondale and Marble first chance you get in the summer.
Drew
__________________
1960 Series II "Pliny"
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old September 10th, 2016, 07:50 PM
Ncrover725's Avatar
Ncrover725
Status: Offline
Bobby
1985 110
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Niceville, FL
Posts: 635
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorUtah View Post
Congrats! Ever been? I would think a ST would be fine. On the Eastern side I think they run more salt and chemicals on the highway. Wax oil might be a good investment. Head out towards Carbondale and Marble first chance you get in the summer. Drew
Appreciate it! I have never been out there for more than training. I heard the summers are great. I will look at frame prep. Good point on the salt.

Bobby
__________________
Bobby
1985 110 5 Door
1991 90
1998 D1 (Sold)
1971 109 3 Door (Sold)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old September 10th, 2016, 08:51 PM
mattb's Avatar
mattb
Status: Offline
Matt
94 D-90 No. 44
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Parker, CO USA
Posts: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncrover725 View Post
I will be moving from Florida to Colorado Springs after the new year. I have read best practices for preparing a Land Rover for winter conditions. I am looking at my 300tdi 110 and the wife's 2.5 petrol 90 soft top.

The take away appear pretty common sense..
Good battery, renew anti-freeze, lighter weight lubricants, ensure glow plugs on the tdi are good. Beyond those is there any nice to know those in the area have learned (heated seats, heated headlamps, ect...)

Does anyone run a soft top in Colorado / snow areas?
You definitely can use the heated seats. I have a soft top and the heated seats go a long way. As far as the roads go it is mag chloride everywhere east of the divide and I have not seen any rust problems with that whatsoever.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old September 10th, 2016, 09:39 PM
xplorUtah's Avatar
xplorUtah
Status: Online
Andrew P
1960 SII
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Park City, UT
Posts: 1,081
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattb View Post
As far as the roads go it is mag chloride everywhere east of the divide and I have not seen any rust problems with that whatsoever.
Ahh mag chloride...that is the stuff my buddy in Carbondale speaks of. Says it is not as bad as salt, but not good either. I personally have mostly experienced Utah salt and deicer stuff and it is nashtay! A slurry of both methinks.
__________________
1960 Series II "Pliny"
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old September 13th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Seanh
Status: Offline
Sean Hanagan
94 D90 ST #910 Matilda
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edwards, Colorado
Posts: 179
I've been running my ST as a daily driver in Vail since 2000 and don't do anything special other than dress warm.

------ Follow up post added September 13th, 2016 05:43 PM ------

I've been running my ST as a daily driver in Vail since 2000 and don't do anything special other than dress warm.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Florida Road MA. 7/16/05 ron Trips, Trails and Events 22 July 18th, 2005 05:18 PM
alone in the universe/ florida panhandle Rover- Girl Misc. Chit-Chat 50 April 1st, 2005 01:19 PM
2 Land Rover 110s for sale Florida SafariHP For Sale - Vehicles 0 October 20th, 2004 06:06 PM
Tallahassee, Florida... norros Trips, Trails and Events 0 May 5th, 2004 03:09 PM
Carolina to Florida WCURoverD90 Defender Technical Discussions 33 March 14th, 2004 10:35 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 PM.


Copyright