Flex fuel lines - from the tank to the frame - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 22nd, 2010, 04:49 PM
SIIA109
Matthew martin
1995 D90

Flex fuel lines - from the tank to the frame

Okay heres the deal - I replaced my fuel pump and in the process I had to cut one of the flex lines in order to get the tank out. After 15 years in the Northeast the connections are pretty rusted. I soaked them with WD40 and was able to disconnect the old flex lines.

Now the trouble starts - you can not order just the flex lines. You need to order the entire fuel line from the tank to the motor and back again. I am NOT replacing the fuel lines - I did replace the fuel filter - after 15 years I thought I got my monies worth - LOL!

I ordered some flex lines from McMaster Carr and they are not threaded the same - I went to NAPA and the village idiot behind the counter did not know anything about getting lines made up - I search the Internet and nothing popped out at me for getting lines made - So I am out of ideas.

Any help out there?

Cheers -

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2010, 05:06 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Barbed fitting and two hose clamps should be "ron good".

Ron
Old July 23rd, 2010, 01:34 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

LOL, this thread is a repeat from the one I started last week.

It is hopeless to try and find the fittings unless--maybe--you go to a hydraulic line shop and they create you a whole new flex hose-to-hardline fitting. Forget that, it's too much hassle. The Ron way is where it's at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2010, 06:57 AM
SIIA109
Matthew martin
1995 D90

Sorry about that! I actually did a search and did not see anything - my bad.

I appreciate the feedback but I am not going jerry rig this - I like mechanical connections especially when the line is under pressure - oh and the fluid in the line that is under pressure is volatile. I understand the pressures are not that high - but for me brakes, fuel and steering are not area's to take short cuts on or attempt to defeat what the engineers originally designed.

I drive myself crazy - one of my redeeming qualities!
Old July 23rd, 2010, 09:37 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Fuel pressure is a fraction of the line pressure that brake hoses or power steering lines are subjected to.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 11:53 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Ok if you are going to be that way, I think I have a rubber line around here somewhere and it looked nice but I would want real money for it because it breaks up the set.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:33 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

If this gives you an idea for what a pain it is to find the fittings, the local independent mechanic takes lines off of donor vehicles when a truck needs a factory set.

I don't half-ass anything on my truck and I wouldn't have used Ron's method if it wasn't sound. In fact, Ron's method is exactly what the master mechanic at the LR dealership here recommended. He says that he does this for customer's cars because the fuel lines are on permanent backorder.

The key is using a quality flaring kit to make your flares and doing a few practice runs to master the technique. With a good flare and quality SS hose clamp, your repair should last a lifetime. I purchased marine-grade fuel hose from West Marine. It's good stuff.
Old July 25th, 2010, 12:38 PM
SIIA109
Matthew martin
1995 D90

You and me are different -

Dear Chris -

I never made reference to you doing anything half assed - How could I? I don't even know what you drive - could be a Kia 4x4 for all I know or care. I made the succinct point of speaking in the first person about what I do - not what you do. I am not clear why you needed to personalize it.

I am fully away of ways to modify how things are done on a rig - some are great ideas - others are not so great. You and only you decide that value - I no more would call you wrong then I would want you to throw stones at my attempt of repeating what they did in the factory as the "proper fit".

Your reference to Land Rover Service reps - please - if you knew how service departments get reimbursed for labor then you would understand that they are not only creative problem solvers but not always the ones to take advice from. I say that with all due respect, and a sympathy with how they get reimbursed for labor - something has to give - and as the saying goes - necessity is the mother of all invention.

All things being equal - I wish you well.
Old July 25th, 2010, 01:00 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIIA109 View Post
Dear Chris -

I never made reference to you doing anything half assed - How could I? I don't even know what you drive - could be a Kia 4x4 for all I know or care. I made the succinct point of speaking in the first person about what I do - not what you do. I am not clear why you needed to personalize it.

I am fully away of ways to modify how things are done on a rig - some are great ideas - others are not so great. You and only you decide that value - I no more would call you wrong then I would want you to throw stones at my attempt of repeating what they did in the factory as the "proper fit".

Your reference to Land Rover Service reps - please - if you knew how service departments get reimbursed for labor then you would understand that they are not only creative problem solvers but not always the ones to take advice from. I say that with all due respect, and a sympathy with how they get reimbursed for labor - something has to give - and as the saying goes - necessity is the mother of all invention.

He was just using himself as an example for Ron's method being a perfectly reasonable one. You didn't need a three paragraph defense.

Buy Ron's line and be happy
Old July 25th, 2010, 01:12 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Wow, did I miss something? I thought Chris, Joel, and Ron was trying to help. Chris had this same problem last week and was sharing his experiences with you. These guys are great and really know their stuff. I hope you didn't misread their intentions. Good luck with your D90.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old July 25th, 2010, 09:21 PM
SIIA109
Matthew martin
1995 D90

Its all good - Its been a crap-tacular weekend - so maybe I took the spin the wrong way - Cheers -
Old July 25th, 2010, 10:23 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Just a thought, but a line shop here in town has been able to rebuild every line I have ever brought them for cheap! Might want to call around and bring it to them to make you a new one. If it is a matter of spec connections, they have cut and welded a new adapter. If they can work on lines for a oil rig, it should be good for me.
Old July 31st, 2010, 01:07 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIIA109 View Post
Dear Chris -

Hypnotoad, where are you? A new jackass has arrived.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
flex, fuel