Flat towing - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 11th, 2007, 03:11 PM
dnp
David
1995 Defender 90

Flat towing

I need to move my D-90 from where it went dead yesterday (see post "Total loss of power - now won't crank"), and the easiest way to do this will be to flat tow it (on all 4 wheels) I don't have an owner's manual, so I went in search of one online (I found one for a different model year, but still a V8 gas 90 referenced) That being said, I want to ask those of you with more experience than I if this text sounds correct to you (I'm posting the full text from that section) The main reason I'm asking the board is because my search turned up a recommendation that a Defender not be flat towed without the removal of the driveshaft(s); however, if applicable to our NAS D-90's, this language from an owner's manual seems to refute that warning:

Vehicle Recovery

If it's necessary to recover the vehicle by towing, always adhere to the following procedure:

Towing the vehicle (on four wheels)

1. Set the main gearbox and transfer box in neutral
2. Ensure the differential lock is in the unlocked position
3. Turn the starter switch to the first position to unlock the steering
and leave in this position while the vehicle is being towed
4. Secure the towing attachment to the vehicle
5. Release the handbrake

Thanks for everyone's help so far. I need to move this truck today, so any recommendations you can offer would be helpful.

Thanks.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnp
I need to move my D-90 from where it went dead yesterday (see post "Total loss of power - now won't crank"), and the easiest way to do this will be to flat tow it (on all 4 wheels) I don't have an owner's manual, so I went in search of one online (I found one for a different model year, but still a V8 gas 90 referenced) That being said, I want to ask those of you with more experience than I if this text sounds correct to you (I'm posting the full text from that section) The main reason I'm asking the board is because my search turned up a recommendation that a Defender not be flat towed without the removal of the driveshaft(s); however, if applicable to our NAS D-90's, this language from an owner's manual seems to refute that warning:

Vehicle Recovery

If it's necessary to recover the vehicle by towing, always adhere to the following procedure:

Towing the vehicle (on four wheels)

1. Set the main gearbox and transfer box in neutral
2. Ensure the differential lock is in the unlocked position
3. Turn the starter switch to the first position to unlock the steering
and leave in this position while the vehicle is being towed
4. Secure the towing attachment to the vehicle
5. Release the handbrake

Thanks for everyone's help so far. I need to move this truck today, so any recommendations you can offer would be helpful.

Thanks.
The above procedure comes from page 74 of the following online manual:

http://www.landrover.ee/est/files/ma...TD5-TDI-V8.pdf

Follow-up Post:

Anyone got a '95 NAS D90 owner's manual they could check for me? Just want to make sure the above procedure isn't screwy and only applies to non-NAS Defenders........Sorry for the persistence, but I'm trying to get this issue resolved today (without having to have it flat-bedded twice!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 11th, 2007, 08:09 PM
dnp
David
1995 Defender 90

Didn't receive a response within the time I needed, and since I had to relocate the vehicle by the end of the day, I went ahead and flat-towed it. I didn't have to go but about 6 miles, and it towed beautifully.........Just out of curiosity, and in case someone would be willing to look in their '95 owner's manual, I'd still like to know the answer to this (NAS) question.......................
Old February 11th, 2007, 08:49 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Should have worked fine. Although its easy to remove the drive shafts from just the axles and leave them attached to the t-case.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2007, 11:15 AM
GliderKing
Robert Bingham
97 ST D90

Registry
So to keep this thread alive, can you flat tow a D90 behind an RV? everything in neutral, ignition on, towbar bracket installed, and a supplemental brake like roadmaster installed?

Bob

1997 NAS 90 ST
1985 110 RHD 300tdi ROW
@gliderking instagram, twitter
Old February 27th, 2007, 02:34 PM
dnp
David
1995 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by GliderKing
So to keep this thread alive, can you flat tow a D90 behind an RV? everything in neutral, ignition on, towbar bracket installed, and a supplemental brake like roadmaster installed?

Bob
Thanks for the reminder! I meant to post a follow up a few days ago....

Referencing both an online owner's manual and a friend's original '95 Defender 90 owner's manual, I found the following:

You can flat-tow (on 4 wheels) a manual transmission D90, PROVIDED:
(1) the manual transmission is in neutral
(2) the transfer case is in neutral and the differential lock is NOT engaged
(3) the handbrake is disengaged, and
(4) the key is in the #1 position (unlocked, but not in the "on" position)

[ Two additional notes: (1) I don't know if this towing procedure applies to a D90 with an automatic transmission, and (2)the owner's manual clearly states that you must NOT tow a D90 with only 2 wheels on the ground. ]

Following the above procedure, and with the D90 hooked to a towbar behind my LX470, I pulled it around town with no problem at all......As a matter of fact, it tows better (flat) than any other vehicle I've towed
Old February 27th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I flat towed mine for about 100 miles and I put the transfer box in neutral, and put the transmission I believe in 4th or 5th--I was told to do this so that the transmission would get oiled as you travel, otherwise the gears won't get lubed. Maybe Rob can interject here?
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
..... Maybe Rob can interject here?
What he said
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:03 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Just don't tow it on two wheels. You'll hear alot of guys say "I tried it on two wheels, and nothing broke", but my understanding is that the t-case is not designed to handle that type of large differential in axle speeds long term.

I'll look at what it says in my NAS manual when I get a chance; I think it is at home.
Old February 28th, 2007, 06:36 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

just disconnect the drive shaft if you have to flat or two wheel tow.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 28th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Would it be safe to say the odometer would continue to add miles in a flat tow with the vehicle off or better yet "the key is in the #1 position (unlocked, but not in the "on" position)"?

Old March 1st, 2007, 11:30 AM
dnp
David
1995 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover
just disconnect the drive shaft if you have to flat or two wheel tow.
According to the manual, you'd only need to do that if you're going to two wheel tow. If you're going to tow on all 4 wheels, there's apparently no need to disconnect anything......
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:00 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Yeah. I still would since its easy and that way nothing in the trans is moving.

Jimmy Buffett

Old March 1st, 2007, 02:03 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender13
Would it be safe to say the odometer would continue to add miles in a flat tow with the vehicle off or better yet "the key is in the #1 position (unlocked, but not in the "on" position)"?
I've always wondered about that...
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:21 PM
dnp
David
1995 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippedrover
Yeah. I still would since its easy and that way nothing in the trans is moving.
Granted, that procedure would totally disconnect the tranny/t-case from rotating components, but if the people who made the truck say it's OK, I'm not sure why the extra effort is necessary
Old March 1st, 2007, 03:23 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I checked my owners manual, manual trans & t-box in neutral is what it said. That will work fine for a short tow. The oil pump in the transmission is driven off of the countershaft. If the engine isn't running, the oil pump in the transmission isn't turning. For this reason, I would avoid extended flat towing.
Please note, if you have to flat tow a D90 with an auto trans, the trans should be left in park and the t-box in neutral. You will damage the transmission if you tow with the transmission in neutral.
Old March 1st, 2007, 04:05 PM
dnp
David
1995 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsiderob
I checked my owners manual, manual trans & t-box in neutral is what it said. That will work fine for a short tow. The oil pump in the transmission is driven off of the countershaft. If the engine isn't running, the oil pump in the transmission isn't turning. For this reason, I would avoid extended flat towing.
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but I am somewhat perplexed as to why the owner's manual wouldn't state that if it were, in fact, the case. To advise against extended flat towing seems to be contrary to what the Land Rover factory publication states. Again, I'm not at all intending to be difficult. I'm just wondering if I should be reading between the lines of what the OEM manufacturer put out as an operation manual for Defender owners................
Old March 1st, 2007, 05:03 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

The towing section in my owners manual is covering towing resulting from a breakdown or accident damage. It covers 4 wheel & 2 wheel towing to get the vehicle moved in an emergency situation. It does not say how far you can flat tow it. I, personally, would not want to flat tow my D90 more than a few miles. If I had no other recourse and had to flat tow it a long distance, I, personally, would put my transmission in 4th gear and the t-box in neutral. This will lock the transmission shafts, t-box input & intermediate gears in place. The Hi & low gears would then be freewheeling on the center diff. With the transmission in neutral the gears in the t-box & the transmission mainshaft can still spin to a degree. The transmission is internally lubricated by a pump driven off of the countershaft. Prolonged towing with the transmission in neutral could leave the mainshaft bearings running dry.
Old March 1st, 2007, 07:34 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Perhaps a dumb question:

If you *had* to flat tow it a long distance, why not do the following:

-transmission neutral
-transfer case neutral
-remove both drive shafts

Other than a PITA to remove both drive shafts, any problems with this method?
Old March 1st, 2007, 07:43 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

If you removed both drive shafts, why would it matter at all what gear you were in?
Old March 1st, 2007, 08:38 PM
redrover

I always wanted to go the flat tow route on my 4hr trips to Moab. I cant remember if I read or heard that the steering is prone to turning full chock on med radius turns like you have in city driving. It would be nice to hear from someone who flat tows occasionally. I have no problem removing one end of drive shafts over trying to store a 20foot trailer. JP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wing