Flasher relay for LED blinker lights - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 5th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

Still trying to find a solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2011, 01:38 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Chris, are the front turn signals completely dead or are they flashing fast as if broken? It's hard to say when you throw pre-wired stuff into the mix. I used all superbright LEDs drop-in replacements for front and rear turn signals as well as brake lights and reverse light. I used their relay and resistors on the front turn signals. Front signals worked fine after I added resistors.
Old May 6th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Chris Vitale
Chris

Completely dead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Chris,
When I replaced all of my flashers with superbright LED, I had the two load resistors up front as you mention but also had to change out the relay in the fuse panel with a Flasher Relay for LED, (CF13GL-02). I didnt notice in your post if you had changed the relay or not.
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old May 6th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Have you checked the polarity on the front wiring? My tail break lights had reverse polarity so the bulbs wouldn't light up. I had to reverse the wiring in the socket to make them work. Some (or all?) LEDs are polarized so the current can only go one direction or they won't work.
Old May 6th, 2011, 09:46 AM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Chris, I suspect reese is correct led's are polarity sensitive. There is no need to buy our led's if you already have an ecr set, they are the same. Carefully stick a pin from the back of connector and the wire Leeds will slide out. A variable load flasher is needed in all cases and will only work if the truck is in stock form meaning stock bulbs in front and led in rear. I know in this post they have found a way around this by adding the resistor( my hats off to this) but now it would point to a polarity issue, as an LED is nothing more than a diode which is polarity sensitive.
Old May 6th, 2011, 11:22 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Our LEDs are pre-wired and each is bench tested before it leaves the shop.
To be 100% sure though, the White wire on the LED must be connected to the Black wire (ground) on the vehicle. Otherwise the polarity is wrong and the LED will not function.

Each LED also has the wiring cast in plastic on the back of it if you have any questions. Each wire color and what it does is written on the back of the LED.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 6th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Chris Vitale
Chris

Ok. Thank you for the suggestion. I will add "test polartity" to my next steps.

FYI - I needed the 2 Safari Dust LEDs becuase I wanted 4 LED turn signals. At the time, ECR only sold an LED package to kit the rear of the truck. Fortunatly, I fell upon your site and now I have a complete LED set. Thank you!

Thank you ECR and Safari Dust!

I will keep you posted.
Old May 6th, 2011, 11:30 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Vitale View Post
Ok. Thank you for the suggestion. I will add "test polartity" to my next steps.

FYI - I needed the 2 Safari Dust LEDs becuase I wanted 4 LED turn signals. At the time, ECR only sold an LED package to kit the rear of the truck. Fortunatly, I fell upon your site and now I have a complete LED set. Thank you!

Thank you ECR and Safari Dust!

I will keep you posted.
We only sell the rears because installing all 4 signals is a PITA.

Our kits need to be direct plug and play for most customers and doing 4 is not a simple bolt in, so we do not offer it.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 7th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris

Polarity was the issue...swapped the two wires in the connector and success!

Thank you all for the troubleshooting help.
Old May 7th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

That might be a first. My advice actually helped someone solve a problem.
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:09 PM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
That might be a first. My advice actually helped someone solve a problem.
Carl,

I meant to copy your suggestion and lost track, thru my iphone...These screens are sometimes way too small to type correctly and big hands dont help.
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Hey no worries. I think my head got a little bigger from contributing something meaningful to this forum. Usually I'm the one asking a million questions.
Old May 20th, 2011, 01:36 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Vitale View Post
Polarity was the issue...swapped the two wires in the connector and success!

Thank you all for the troubleshooting help.
I think I am having the same issue. Got a bunch of bulbs from superbright and all the fronts do not work but the stock ones work fine. Which connector did you swap the 2 wires on? The one connected to the LED/light or that is wired to the vehicle? If it is the ones from the main harness/vehicle, how on earth did you pop them out of the plug to switch?
Old May 20th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

What do you mean by "do not work"? Are they completely dead or do they flash at a faster rate? Did you change the flasher relay and the resistors? The rear work fine without resistors but the front doesn't. If you've done those things you need to reverse the wiring so that the current in the LED goes the opposite direction.
Old May 20th, 2011, 06:10 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
What do you mean by "do not work"? Are they completely dead or do they flash at a faster rate? Did you change the flasher relay and the resistors? The rear work fine without resistors but the front doesn't. If you've done those things you need to reverse the wiring so that the current in the LED goes the opposite direction.
All the side marker bulbs work, as do all the back lights (I am running Safari Dust LED blinkers in the rear, and bought a Superbright LED bulb for the reverse, Brake/Tail Lights will be Safari Dust LED's in a few weeks). Blinkers work fine, got a new flasher relay for S. Dust.

The front blinkers and running lights do not work at all when I put in the new Superbright LED bulbs in. Swap back the stock bulbs and they are fine. From reading the posts on this thread it sounds like the polarity is the issue and I need to reverse the wiring. My question is do I need to cut and splice the wires or is there a cleaner/more elequent way by popping the clips out. Hope this clears it up - any advice is appreciated.
Old May 20th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

There is a cleaner way. I will ask my electrical guy when I see him this weekend. He switched mine but I don't remember how and there's no visual evidence of it.
Old May 20th, 2011, 11:03 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
There is a cleaner way. I will ask my electrical guy when I see him this weekend. He switched mine but I don't remember how and there's no visual evidence of it.
I would really appreciate it if you found out from him. I'll swap wires but rather not. TIA!
Old May 21st, 2011, 07:58 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
I wouldn't mess with the wiring. If the stock bulbs work, the LED bulbs should work. If the LEDs don't, then its good chance its a bulb issue. Can you post the bulb id# and the locations that don't work?
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old May 21st, 2011, 09:30 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Not true. The bulbs are polarized. My rear stop lights had the wiring reversed for some reason. It must have been stock because I doubt it had been changed by previous owner. There was nothing wrong with the bulbs. We switched the cables around and everything worked just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese_D90
I wouldn't mess with the wiring. If the stock bulbs work, the LED bulbs should work. If the LEDs don't, then its good chance its a bulb issue. Can you post the bulb id# and the locations that don't work?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, lights, relay