Fixing Accident Damage - so what else? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 24th, 2016, 10:59 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Fixing Accident Damage - so what else?

Hi,

So I was in an accident. See this thread:

Accident - Defender Source

After a hard choice I am going to go with Dean at Independent in Bethesda to fix the damage. He gets strong recommendations on this page. Dean will also look over the entire truck, because it is a new vehicle to him. I think he is going to start next week.

--------------------------

Questions: While fixing the accident damage what else should I do. Here is what I am thinking already:

1) Paint the entire truck. Insurance will only paint half, and blend the adjacent panels. I do not think that will look good. I am an original owner, and after 21 years of sitting outside, I think the Defender might deserve a new paint job.

2) Add rock sliders - insurance is going to replace the sill on the driver side. Might be time to upgrade in this area.

3) Apply the Waxoyl product (assuming that my chassis is still in good shape). Dean is a certified installer. Since I have no plans to sell the truck - it seems like this might be a good investment.

--------------------------

So what are your thoughts?

FLAGG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2016, 11:03 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Sorry about your accident. Saw your other thread. Glad you were ok and that the truck is repairable! My old sliders need a new home. Your insurance money to replace the one sill might not even cover shipping though. Let me know if you want them. Galvanized, but they will need paint.
Old June 24th, 2016, 11:09 PM
javelinadave
-
-

If I was in your shoes I would pay the difference for a total respray. I'm sure they can blend it ok but I would use this opportunity for a total refresh finances permitting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 24th, 2016, 11:24 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

So what would a same color respray cost? ( I'm almost too scared to ask)!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old June 24th, 2016, 11:53 PM
CavemanDiesel
Eric Smirh
1985 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
Hi, So I was in an accident. See this thread: Accident - Defender Source After a hard choice I am going to go with Dean at Independent in Bethesda to fix the damage. He gets strong recommendations on this page. Dean will also look over the entire truck, because it is a new vehicle to him. I think he is going to start next week. -------------------------- Questions: While fixing the accident damage what else should I do. Here is what I am thinking already: 1) Paint the entire truck. Insurance will only paint half, and blend the adjacent panels. I do not think that will look good. I am an original owner, and after 21 years of sitting outside, I think the Defender might deserve a new paint job. 2) Add rock sliders - insurance is going to replace the sill on the driver side. Might be time to upgrade in this area. 3) Apply the Waxoyl product (assuming that my chassis is still in good shape). Dean is a certified installer. Since I have no plans to sell the truck - it seems like this might be a good investment. -------------------------- So what are your thoughts? FLAGG
1) re spray the whole truck. If you are keeping it.
2) yes on the sliders with tree bars. They look good and will protect your new paint against door dings in the mall parking lots.
3) if the frame is bent, take the opportunity to replace with galvanized. If frame is good then protect it. If you are keeping it you won't be sorry. If you decide to sell it will be well sorted.

When you are done you will have a better 90.

I upgraded a lot when I was in an accident. Full roll cage and new bumper. It's better then before the accident.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4173616949.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	375.1 KB
ID:	152550

The hard part was waiting for it to be done.
Good luck.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, damage