Fitting VDO Speed Sender - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 9th, 2012, 02:36 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Reviving this thread.
Got a YBE100530 sender for the VDO electronic speedo
hooked it all up and it does not work.

The VDO sender has 3 wires:
Black (ground)
Red/black (signal)
white/Green (positive)

The VDO speedo Manual has the:
white/green wire attached to two pins on the back of the speedo (pins 6&8) When it was a TD5 this was the hot lead
I hooked the black/red to (pin 2)
The Black to (pin 3) and a ground

This leaves me wondering how the sender gets power?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speedo_transducer_connect.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	52726  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2012, 07:00 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1195
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	52748  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2012, 09:06 AM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
i believe, you need power into the sensor, once it begins turning/ measuring, the signal becomes interruped thus creating the hall effect.
some 8 months ago I posted where i had done the vdo installation on a customers 97 d90 because his factory speedo lost the screen... recently I found the pictures again but I think you are well ahead of the connector diagramm.
I explained the conversion differences between the pre electronic factory speedo and factory electronic speedo to the vdo electronic nov 30th link post # 242 last page vdo parts and installation problems merge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I don't recall having power to the transducer. Isn't it so that when it's spinning it generates a weak current/signal that is sent to the speedo? No power needed?

I also recall that only two of the three wires coming out of the pig tail plug that connects to the transducer were being used.

Search for a thread called "VDO SPeedo". The instructions there helped me install mine.
Old June 10th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It is a hall effect sensor follow the wiring for one of those in the vdo manual.

edit: reading your description, I think you have power and signal swapped. Pins 6/8 appear to be signal pins. 2 must be power out. You can probably check for power at pin 2 with the speedo turned on.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 10th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yes, confirmed, 2 is power, 6/8 is signal. http://www.nsifleet.com/pdf/HallEffe...andTesting.pdf

Old June 10th, 2012, 01:40 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Got it, thanks
I think my TD5 sender plug colors confused me.
Thanks Red.
Old June 10th, 2012, 08:42 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

Are you sure the square drive on the sender is big enough to engage the driver in the transmission?
Old June 19th, 2012, 09:53 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
I'm looking to swap out the bouncy and inaccurate stock speedo in my '95 and after reading this thread and STFA I think I have it sorted. I am sure it is much simpler than I am making it but I just want to order the correct parts before hand.

So it seems there are 2 methods to get this done:

Method 1:

Method 2:
  • Keep the stock cable but add a speed sensor at the end to work with the electronic speedo
  • Per Hans on one of the threads a cleaner way to do this is swap the stock Rover cable for a CJ7 speedo cable.
  • Travel Path: LT230 --> AMR3386 (vss) --> speedo cable (or CJ7 cable) --> speed sensor (VDO 430-011 for stock cable or VDO 430-012 for CJ7 cable) --> Electronic Speedo (VDO 437 155)

It seems like Method 1 is a little cleaner but I think I read that the VSS could cause the speedo needle to bounce. Is there a end clip that can attach to YBE 100540?

I apologize if this seems redundant or elementary to anyone. I swapped the other gauges for VDO's and they have been working fine but for some reason I was getting confused on this one until I realized there were 2 main methods of doing it.

Bringing this back up as I am curious about doing this swap in my truck. Basically, my truck just threw Code 68 and when I removed the VSS & lower speedo cable, they were basically fused together so hard to tell if it is spinning correctly or not. In the end, I assume that since my truck threw the code, the speedo starting being erratic and then stopped working altogether and finally my truck stalled a few times while coming to a stop, it all leads to the combination being bad. For information, my truck (like Don's) is '94 NAS with a 3.9 so ditching the VSS is not an option. What I am curious about is, has anyone installed the Disco unit directly to the t-case and then split the wires coming off between the ECU and the VDO speedo? Is this even possible?
Old June 19th, 2012, 10:53 AM
wcampbel@nas.edu
Bill Campbell
1994 D-90 ST

I went with method 2, easy enough, but haven't gotten my truck up and running since I replaced all the gauges. So I can't tell you about performance.

B
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:05 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf

Bringing this back up as I am curious about doing this swap in my truck. Basically, my truck just threw Code 68 and when I removed the VSS & lower speedo cable, they were basically fused together so hard to tell if it is spinning correctly or not. In the end, I assume that since my truck threw the code, the speedo starting being erratic and then stopped working altogether and finally my truck stalled a few times while coming to a stop, it all leads to the combination being bad. For information, my truck (like Don's) is '94 NAS with a 3.9 so ditching the VSS is not an option. What I am curious about is, has anyone installed the Disco unit directly to the t-case and then split the wires coming off between the ECU and the VDO speedo? Is this even possible?
The ECU needs to know if the truck is moving or stationary in order to move into idle mode as opposed to moving mode ....
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
The ECU needs to know if the truck is moving or stationary in order to move into idle mode as opposed to moving mode ....
The question is....

Can the same sensor be connector to a speedometer and the ECU at the same time?

Old June 19th, 2012, 04:54 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The question is....

Can the same sensor be connector to a speedometer and the ECU at the same time?
Exactly! It seems like the wires coming off the VSS should be able to do both functions but I didn't know if anyone tried it!
Old June 19th, 2012, 10:02 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
Exactly! It seems like the wires coming off the VSS should be able to do both functions but I didn't know if anyone tried it!

The quick and helpful answer is yes, the not so helpful is I can't remember exactly how we did it. We put an engine and trans in an 83 110 from a 95 D1 running an electronic speedo in the 110. The 95 D1 set up is essentially the same as the 94/95 D90 but with an electronic speedo as stock rather than the cable/electric set up in the 90s.

What I want to say we did was run the VSS to the ECU and take an output from the ECU to the speedo but we may have simply split the VSS output to both. I donít think that worked though so I think option 1 is what we ended up doing. Itís been a while.

I donít have the circuit diags to hand or the truck but I can check. Might be a while before I get chance to see the truck though. If you want to know quicker, lookup the circuit diags from a 94 or 95 NAS D1 and see how its set up as far as the output to the speedo. Duplicate that on the 90 and you should be good to go.

HTH

Ian
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:51 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post

The quick and helpful answer is yes, the not so helpful is I can't remember exactly how we did it. We put an engine and trans in an 83 110 from a 95 D1 running an electronic speedo in the 110. The 95 D1 set up is essentially the same as the 94/95 D90 but with an electronic speedo as stock rather than the cable/electric set up in the 90s.

What I want to say we did was run the VSS to the ECU and take an output from the ECU to the speedo but we may have simply split the VSS output to both. I donít think that worked though so I think option 1 is what we ended up doing. Itís been a while.

I donít have the circuit diags to hand or the truck but I can check. Might be a while before I get chance to see the truck though. If you want to know quicker, lookup the circuit diags from a 94 or 95 NAS D1 and see how its set up as far as the output to the speedo. Duplicate that on the 90 and you should be good to go.

HTH

Ian

I would be very interested to hear and see more when you have the time.

I did a couple of quick Google searches this morning but didn't come up with any real useful information so if anyone has access to the 94/95 wiring diagrams I would greatly appreciate the help.
Old June 20th, 2012, 09:40 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
I'm game to give it a try with my VSS. Unfortunately ECU inputs are typically ADC's and require some voltage at the pin, while the VDO gauges are essentially just analog amps and frequency counters.

My guess is that the signal generated by the speedo sensor needs to be amplified to (at least) TTL levels before being fed into the ECU.

Therefore my gut instinct is to say that wiring the VSS directly to the ECU will not work. But the VDO speedo probably will.
Old June 20th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
OK, reading manuals... The stock speed transducer gets switched 12V on one side and produced a 12V pulsed signal to the ECI input. This is explained in testing of the VSS.

I need to check, but I believe the VDO speedo might output voltage at pin 7 and use pin 8 as a sensor. If that is the case (easily checked...) then PIN 8 should be used as the VSS power supply and the the sensor should be able to split.

Old June 20th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Or not? http://www.howardinstruments.com.au/...peedometer.pdf

Old June 20th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
So I just checked out a Disco 2 prong VSS and it should work fine with 12V on one side and give a pulsed output.

Old August 7th, 2012, 05:52 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I tried checking the pins on the transducer/VSS on my 94 and it doesn't seem to have 12v on either pin. I only spent a few minutes with it so have not done any other checking or probing. That being said, I am mid stream on a VDO speedo install so I am going to sell out for now and go the CJ7 cable and hall effect route. I have the hall effect already and got a CJ7 speedo cable from partsgeek.com but the cable has female threads on both sides...I need one with male on one end. Can someone tell me the part number for the CJ7 cable or a source that is known to work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions