Fitting led headlights to ex-mod - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 20th, 2014, 01:59 AM
Hache
Henry Lambert
1983 Ex-MOD 90 2.5N/A

Fitting led headlights to ex-mod

Any one tried doing this? I know they will work and fit, but don't I know if they'll fit in the sealed rubber cup behind the light or whether to remove this.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2014, 02:14 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

No, you will have to replace the entire H4 assembly and possibly wiring and the mounting ring, depending on what you have.

IMHO, LEDs look ridiculous on Defenders, especially ex-MOD trucks. I went for a Hella H4 halogen bulb with the heavy duty ARB wiring harness. I had to build some harness adapters and replace some bits because of the sealed mil bulbs in my Tithonus but it was an easy afternoon project. End result is super-bright headlights that don't look like some street racer degenerate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old September 20th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Hache
Henry Lambert
1983 Ex-MOD 90 2.5N/A

Thanks Chris. You're going to hate my 90!

The mounting ring and wiring is the same I think. It's the plastic and rubber stuff that keep everything protected that may be too shallow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2014, 08:44 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Don't mind Chris, Henry. Chris thinks he's a purist. LED's look ridiculous alright... Ridiculously awesome. Especially on an MOD truck. More important than what they look like is how they work. They have a much lower draw, the light quality and disbursement is better and they'll outlast the life of the truck. Which brand are you going with?
Old September 20th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Hache
Henry Lambert
1983 Ex-MOD 90 2.5N/A

The truck-lites. Everyone here seems to love them and I really like the look of them.
Old September 20th, 2014, 08:56 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I've always converted my trucks to the halogen units with the hella lenses..you can get them pretty easily off eBay and they work breat and if you give them a better power feed they are very bright..they make a headlight relay system which uses the headlight wiring to switch relays to five a really good power to the lights and reduces the load on the switches.. And they look stock for the purists.. this next build I will be using the trucklites.. I'm choosing function over appearances, I think they look totally out of place (and a little ugly) but are supposed to give totally awesome light projection..and that's more important for this one to drive around the world..
Old September 21st, 2014, 04:37 PM
Hache
Henry Lambert
1983 Ex-MOD 90 2.5N/A

So I used the existing MOD fittings but removed the small weather cover from the connector to make space for the larger trucklite assembly. It all works. I'm just a little nervous that the LR design has just one screw holding the headlight surround to the body work as the trucklites are heavier than the stock lights.
Old September 21st, 2014, 04:50 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Got a pic? I don't recall any surround or plinth that just has one screw.
Old September 21st, 2014, 11:09 PM
Hache
Henry Lambert
1983 Ex-MOD 90 2.5N/A

The surround has 3 screws to the lamp but then only one screw to the body. You can see it at 2:09 in this video:

I'll take pic tomorrow.
Old September 21st, 2014, 11:17 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
Ok you're actually talking about the headlight itself, not the surround.

Your fine. It's not coming out. If you're still worried, then put some blue thread lock on the screw.
Old September 21st, 2014, 11:28 PM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
I would solder the connections, not use a connector as seen at 11:30

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, lights, mod