Fitting D110 Body Capping - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 1st, 2006, 08:06 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Fitting D110 Body Capping

So I removed the top and am in the process of replacing the rusted body capping on my 110 and the new parts just dont seem to line up very well, or in some cases at all. Is there a variety of different types of 110 body capping? The part seems visually similar to those that I took off, however require quite a bit of persuation to put on and seem to ride too high when lining up the rivet holes on the side (so much I dont think those ont he top would grip). Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 1st, 2006, 08:12 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I replaced one whole side of the loadbed on my D90...wheelbox & all. Parts made several years apart may have to be persuaded together. Hammer to fit, paint to match. If it looks right and it works, then it's right. Self drilling screws can be used to temporarily fix things in place and be removed one at a time and replaced with rivets for final assembly.
Old November 1st, 2006, 09:05 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Rob,

I can appreciate issues with the age differential between parts and the need for some manipulation.

As you can see side by side there are minor differences in the portion of the capping that attaches to the inner bed. On the new part, this section is slightly longer (see photo). Seemingly no big deal as for the most part the are pretty similar.

My larger concern is that when positioning the body capping so that the holes on the sides (vertical bed) line up with the capping, the top (horizontal surface) appears to look at least a quarter inch too high. The problem is compounded by the fact that the rivet holes on the top are about 1 inch off in some places. As you can see in the other photo, these are not even close.

Loaded 3rd photo just to compare the parts from the same side of vehicle and holes also are not even close.

I cant help but think that I got the wrong parts...

Anyone have any ideas/info?
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Long_sm.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	7272   Click image for larger version

Name:	holes_sm.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	7273  

Name:	holes_sm_2.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	7274  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:38 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

I have replaced the cappings on several different defenders - both top rail and end. In my experience it is a simple drill out and replace. If you are going from a hardtop to soft top, there may be nutzerts to drill out, but for the most part, holes aline if you have the right parts. For the 110 there are multiple versions. Call George at RDS, he probably has what you need. Also, I use cleco clamps to align everything before pop riveting it into place. Same investment, but I use them all the time.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:24 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

The cappings are usually drilled at the factory per tub assembly. The best way to make the job easy is to galvanize your old cappings. If not it will take some drilling and such as the others suggested to make the new ones fit).

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old November 6th, 2006, 02:56 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

So, I have had my original cappings blasted and lets just say that one of them did not fair to well as it looks like some portions of it were being held together by paint and rust.

I would like to stay with an original style capping. Rovers North says that the only PN they have for the capping is ALR3154 & ALR3155.

If in fact there are several variations on the 110 body capping, can anyone provide any guidance on how/where I can locate a drop in replacement?
Old November 13th, 2006, 07:48 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Just to close the loop on this one in the event that the topic is searched, I wound up having a local fabricator refurbish my original body capping. Let me say that they look AWESOME. I wish that I would have gone this route in the first place. I also wish that I had taken some before pics just so you had an appreciation for the work that was done. I have included a few samples of the finished product and let me just say that the photos do not do these things justice. I am almost sad to have them galvanized as they are practically a work of art.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	7396   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	7397  

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	7398  
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Billakris
Kris
Alpine White 95 Soft Top

Glad to see you finally got that figured out, Matt. Let me know if you need any help over Thanksgiving.
Old July 19th, 2010, 07:23 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Adding a few pics for Barry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4783.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	29501   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4782.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	29502  

Old July 19th, 2010, 07:43 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

looks nice. I assume all the seals had to be replaced when you did it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, body, d110