Fitting an handle to a tailgate...? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 20th, 2007, 03:42 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Question Fitting an handle to a tailgate...?

I'm planning to convert the Cube from SW to truck cab (less "Cube" but I want to give it a try)...
As I have a complete tailgate (and a truck cab of course) as well I'd like to add an handle to it
and turn it into a swing-away tailgate,so to keep my Mantec tire carrier...
(I'll have to work out a quick release system so to use the rear winch when needed but that's another story)

Looking at the handle ,it doesn't split into separate parts...I wonder how those of you made it without cutting a window in the tailgate?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tailgate_with_handle.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	8282  
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Not sure I completely understand your issue, but the mechanism can be wiggled in and out of the hole in the tailgate.
Old February 20th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Lightbulb

Erm,
sorry it's not clear maybe...a couple of pics may help.

I want to fit #1 to my tailgate which doesn't have a slot like the SW door has (pic #2)...

So far it looks like I'd eventually have to cut the lever off with an angle grinder as it's welded on...
Attached Images

+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

The tailgate does have a hole and the handle will fit thru it. Question is whether you need to drill a hole for the lock. I will be at the shop Friday and can look at a SW and ST side by side (and my various parts books) to see if the mechanism is different - but at first glance it looks the same.
Old February 21st, 2007, 02:26 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
My tailgate came off a truck cab 90...I guess I'll have to detach the handle,drill the holes,fit the lock assy,re-weld handle...

Can you take a couple of pics on Friday?

TIA
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]
Old February 21st, 2007, 06:15 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Be happy to take some pics. I have a ST tailgate and the parts separated and sitting around. I was sure the ST tailgates and the truck tailgates were one to two types - drop down or swing. And the swing either had locks or didn't. But I have several types at the shop and will get you some photos.
Old February 21st, 2007, 10:46 AM
Monkeyboy

Primitive Pete here .... why not just leave the on on the left side and put hinges on the right ... ???

The existing tailgate already has an "anti-luce" pin top right and left, no?
Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:02 AM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
Just for the sake of it

I have the "anti-luce" pins which came with the tailgate...but you can only fit the LHS one,
RHS doesn't fit anymore due to the Mantec tire carrier hinge...
The handle option looked better to me...I can always drop the idea if it gets too complicated...
+109" IIA ex-military

Sketches and doodles:

[O]===[O]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tailgate