First Time 110 Short Cab Canvas Install - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 15th, 2013, 08:29 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

First Time 110 Short Cab Canvas Install

Will be installing a 110 short cab canvas this weekend and based on what i could figure out without any instructions, there are 4 spring clips that hold the front piece in place above the windscreen which allow the edge of the top to go underneath.

It looks kike my metal front windscreen strip has never been drilled for the four clips.
So am figuring that it will need to be GENTLY clamped in place, drilled and the clips inserted so the black plastic lever goes under the top of the windscreen frame with the locknut on top of the metal front windscreen strip (that is added for the canvas). In other words the plactic lever goes at the very bottom with the locknut at the very top of the whole front assembly.

Anyone want to provide a sanity check who has been "down this road" before?

Did several searches in the archives before making this post and came up with lots of posts on canvas seat covers, but nothing on this subject...

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2013, 11:14 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Yup, you've got it right.

That's the standard front rail clamp. I can measure the one on my 90 in a bit if you want (got a euro military canvas on it)

The black plastic lever, as you rightly say, goes at the "bottom", kind of sits up inside the lip of the windscreen frame. Think it's an 8mm hole that you need up through the windscreen frame and up through the clamping "header bar". between the top of the windscreen frame and the underside of the header bar, the spring goes in.
Then on top, is the washer and nulock nut.

It should be set up so that the nut is loose enough to just un-clamp the header bar, and clamp it down again, but (here in the UK) the canvas is so rarely removed, i tighten up the nut with a spanner as well (doesn't have to be silly tight) just to give an extra bit of seal on the header bar.

------ Follow up post added June 15th, 2013 04:16 PM ------

Added:

http://www.allwheeltrim.co.uk/Frames.html#header-rail

This site will show you some pictures of what's done. They're a great company, not too far from me either, it's where I got all the bits for the latest project.
Old June 15th, 2013, 12:46 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Thanks.
I am good now!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, canvas