First 110 SW.. Good candidate? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 7th, 2016, 05:47 PM
elusive
Steve
None

First 110 SW.. Good candidate?

Hi all, hope this is the correct forum!

I've been lurking here and have been searching far and wide for a good candidate for my first defender. Found this 1988 110 SW, looks like a TDI, body looks good and seller says it starts and runs good. He says the frame is ok but door bottoms and bulkhead are rusted.

Seller sent me photos of points of interest. Judging by the photos, would you all say this is an ok project for a full time college student to tackle? For 10k, seems to be a fair starting point but the rust is a little daunting. From what I understand defenders are definitely not for the faint of heart, I can deal with that.

What else should I look for?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2016, 06:06 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
if you're a full time college student this truck is going to quickly deplete your book and beer budget and probably break your heart. Talk to Johan...spend a little more and you can focus on your studies not on fixing...
Old January 7th, 2016, 06:12 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I would say on that truck the rust is a little more than daunting. Run. Far away.
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2016, 06:59 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
That truck is fucked. Seriously.
Old January 7th, 2016, 07:23 PM
emah
Ed Mah
1993 NAS D110

Registry
No

Nooooo Wayyyyy!
Old January 7th, 2016, 07:23 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
$20-25K more in parts and things you can't/won't do - then it is sorted. Then you may have engine and stuff to do - who knows?

Knowing that are you still prepared to buy it...if so - this is a great place to come for advice and the MANY PARTS you will need.
Old January 7th, 2016, 07:44 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If it has a clean VIN with a CA plate, and runs/drives well it is a great truck for $10k. That said you should expect to spend $20k-$30k in parts to include a new bulkhead and chassis. (assuming you do your own work and outsource paint work)
Old January 7th, 2016, 07:58 PM
Tarheeld
Bill
1985 110

Crunchier than a bowl of frosties.
Old January 7th, 2016, 08:02 PM
elusive
Steve
None

Love you guys. Thank you for the info, I'm certainly not willing to spend that much to repair the heap. I suppose its more than safe to call this a heap!

I've built a couple bikes but holy crap I didn't know the extent of the repairs!

Suppose I'll keep saving to buy myself a pristine one as a graduation present to myself.
Old January 7th, 2016, 08:11 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Do what most of us did and find a nice solid series vehicle and work your way up from there... Should be able to find a good one in that price range that will most likely be worth what you paid for it if not more come graduation.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5351392264.html
Old January 7th, 2016, 08:29 PM
emah
Ed Mah
1993 NAS D110

Registry
No

Nooooo Wayyyyy!
Old January 7th, 2016, 09:31 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Steve, don't get hung up on a defender, also look at the series I Discos. They are Defender running gear with a nicer body on it and ac. In stock form they are very capable off road. They also can be had well with in your budget. Good luck!
Old January 7th, 2016, 09:41 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
$10k isn't bad at all for a 110 (5 door) in the US but that truck has plenty of rust, as is to be expected at that price point. Luckily the seller appears to actually know where to take meaningful pics and how to present it accurately in said pics, therefore saving you much long term heartache since I'm assuming you're likely now looking to move on to something else.
Old January 7th, 2016, 09:42 PM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
If you've got 10K to spend then, in my opinion, you should find a nice 1995 RRC to pick up. It'll do your body and soul GOOD. Great platform to get you into the LR world. I've owned many and will always own one aside from all the other Rover's I have.

Other than that, heed the advise of some of these guys on this forum and make the right decision. Don't buy something that looks cool and is really a piece of shit. Buy something that looks cool and isn't going to require high dollar right from the get go.

Biggest bit of advice I can provide is to buy from a reliable source. This board is full of them so look for a truck for sale from someone here.
Old January 7th, 2016, 09:50 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
X2 on what Chris said, look at the Range Rover Classic's as well really cool trucks.
Old January 7th, 2016, 09:54 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Come on people.... the guy is in college.. Driving his daddy range rover or discovery won't get him any girls....Defenders and series on the other hand are chick magnets.. lets get our priorities straight here please!
Old January 7th, 2016, 09:59 PM
elusive
Steve
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
Come on people.... the guy is in college.. Driving his daddy range rover or discovery won't get him any girls....Defenders and series on the other hand are chick magnets.. lets get our priorities straight here please!
Yeah man! Haha honestly I'm pretty hung up on a defender. You guys are great for the words, theres a wealth of knowledge on this forum I'm going to lose my eyesight reading all the threads

I'll never give up my search for a solid platform 110! I'm determined. Graduating in a few months so I'm not that far off!

I do like RRC's but the look of a defender is something else.. I can't fight the feeling
Old January 7th, 2016, 10:08 PM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Yea.....it's easy to be hung up on the looks of a Defender. It's a badass truck. BUT.....reality is another thing. If you're graduating college, unless you land a high paying job then you will spend all your dough on the Defender. Cool is cool but BROKE is shit!! Don't be broke with a beat up 10K defender. It's not a good thing I promise. Take a look at my RRC and see if that looks like a truck that you wouldn't mind driving around. I'm not selling it so don't ask but point is.....if you buy the defender then you BETTER..... I repeat....you BETTER... have another vehicle to get you around in daily because a 10K defender won't be doing that. And then you'll be riding your bike asking a girl if she can pick your ass up. Not good bro....not good.
Old January 7th, 2016, 10:17 PM
elusive
Steve
None

Right on I hear that.. I could always buy a defender rather than put a down payment on a house and live on the road right?

I was eyeing the 2014 4Runner before the 110 csw so kudos to that ey?
Old January 7th, 2016, 10:22 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
I drove an old alfa romeo in college and 20 years later my friends still talk about the adventures and misadventures we had in that car...memories to last a life time my friend... dont listen to the guy with the perfect speaker covers in his dentists range rover.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags