First 110 SW.. Good candidate? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 7th, 2016, 11:21 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
If you want a defender, the only compromise I would make would be to get a series, you can get a truck that is in 2x as good shape for the money, and it is still that classic Land Rover. I wanted nothing to do with a classic, 1/4 of the cool factor, yet costs the same to maintain.

I was in your shoes a few years ago, I bought a series while in undergrad, and I bought the 110 right after I graduated, like they say "no ragrets".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2016, 11:49 PM
elusive
Steve
None

I'll continue to watch the market and assess what a good deal will be for a quality 110. I'm in no rush, so hopefully I will learn more about what to look for to make an awesome purchase when the time comes. I wouldn't mind spending twice as much for a truck in great shape that I can rely on.
Old January 8th, 2016, 12:11 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by elusive View Post
I'll continue to watch the market and assess what a good deal will be for a quality 110. I'm in no rush, so hopefully I will learn more about what to look for to make an awesome purchase when the time comes. I wouldn't mind spending twice as much for a truck in great shape that I can rely on.
Buy as close to rust free as possible, everything else is way easier to fix. Get the premium AAA too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2016, 12:15 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Whatever just don't buy that roach. Or a friggen' Toyota.
Old January 8th, 2016, 01:09 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Definitely don't get a 4Runner if you go the Toyota route - zero classic/cool factor...Get an FJ60 or 62 Land Cruiser. We have a '90 and it's a pretty neat rig for the money - and reliable too!

Start saving your money and get a decent 110 as soon as you can afford one that's not completely screwed with rust like the one in the photos!! Take your time and have fun since the search is the first half of the fun!!
Old January 8th, 2016, 08:45 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Smart. Take some more time to get the feel for what generally pops up in the used Defender world.

Easier to say than do but if you can discipline yourself to not pull the trigger until you know yourself what is right you'll do fine.

Maybe start a simple log with pics and prices of what the $10-15k trucks generally look like. You'll quickly get the hang of it. While you're at it use this opportunity/excuse to drive these things if you can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 8th, 2016, 09:10 AM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
I drove an old alfa romeo in college and 20 years later my friends still talk about the adventures and misadventures we had in that car...memories to last a life time my friend... dont listen to the guy with the perfect speaker covers in his dentists range rover.
Hahahahahaha.......John, when are you going to come hang out and teach me some of that comedy you've been brushing up on. It's funny shit I tell ya.
And just to clarify, they are perfect speaker covers in a Realtors range rover....not a dentists......lol.
Old January 9th, 2016, 09:14 PM
elusive
Steve
None

How do you guys feel about this?
http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/191769408274

I got excited over this one. someone else won the auction but id like to hear your judgements!
Old January 9th, 2016, 09:23 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
It was local to me. Could have checked it out for you. It had been for sale for a while. I think it started at $30K on a local site some time ago...Suspect it was not that good. For it to sell that low.Looking at the pictures there are plenty of things that raise red flags. For a decent 5 Door entry price is probably mid $20K's. In this racket there are no good deals...to many trying to make money.
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old January 9th, 2016, 09:39 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
How do you guys feel about this?
Land Rover Defender 110 | eBay

I got excited over this one. someone else won the auction but id like to hear your judgements!
Look at how it's painted. Spray over everything. No effort to keep previously non-painted plastic or rubber coated things normal. It screams exceptionally poor effort to paint the vehicle correctly.

If a vehicle is painted like shit with flashy plastic grill and and headlight surrounds it is designed to do one thing only: sell via pictures over the internet.

Please realize that you need to not buy an import 90/110/130/Defender based off of the visual presentation. You need to ensure your frame(including outriggers and x-members) and bulkhead are solid. Additionally, you need to ensure your transmission and t-case and engine actually work. A vehicle that has a half assed paint job is probably in pure shit mechanical condition.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old January 10th, 2016, 10:49 AM
elusive
Steve
None

First 110 SW.. Good candidate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorUtah View Post
It was local to me. Could have checked it out for you. It had been for sale for a while. I think it started at $30K on a local site some time ago...Suspect it was not that good. For it to sell that low.Looking at the pictures there are plenty of things that raise red flags. For a decent 5 Door entry price is probably mid $20K's. In this racket there are no good deals...to many trying to make money.

If you have time to check it out that would be great! The dealer just contacted me saying the deal didn't go through. He wants $25k

He also said Great Basin Rovers did an inspection, im going to call on Monday to check out the report
Old January 10th, 2016, 11:23 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
If you have 25k to spend on a defender you should be speaking to Johan.. no doubt he can find you a solid LHD driver for that price and RHD for less.
Old January 10th, 2016, 11:05 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
It didn't sell on eBay for 18 and he wants 25 and you're interested? If you have 25k cash to play with buy a plane ticket and go procure one yourself. If your are financing a 30 year old POS there is no hope for society.

RUN FROM THIS BLIND PAINTED CRAP TURD.

You little rebel, I like you.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags