Fire Extinguishers?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 3rd, 2013, 05:39 PM
crash05
CJ Szpila
1998 D1 /1994 Defender

Registry
Fire Extinguishers??

I was looking to put a fire extinguisher in my D90. What are people using? Where are you mounting them? I found a couple of holders for JEEP roll bars has any one tried one of these? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:00 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

At minimum 10lb extinguisher. 20lb even better.
I get mine from a local guy who services them as a business and I buy old ones no longer suitable for commercial establishments but fine for personal use and just as safe as new ones.

A quality mount, something like this.
http://www.safety1industries.com/saf...afety-retainer

A 2 1/2 pounder can be be useful for really small fires, but the problem with getting on of those first is you'll be likely to put off getting a real extinguisher.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old July 4th, 2013, 10:11 AM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
I also suggest if you can swing it, locating one up front within reach and one in the trunk/cargo area. The fact is you never know where you will be when/if a fire starts.

The MOD defenders has a horizontal mount for a 20lb extinguisher on the passenger floor up against the seat box which is a handy spot. But I also mounted another 20lb'er in the rear load space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
A 20 pound extinguisher? Uh... sure... but those are a little overkill. We carry 20# on the fire engine.

With about 2 minutes of training, a 2.5# can can put out a WHOLE LOT OF FIRE. The trick is getting the extinguishing agent actually on the fire and burning material and not just spraying on top of the hood / bonnet of the car (assume engine fire).

For the price of a 2.5# extinguisher, I recommend that you play with one. I think you will be suprised as to how much agent will come out and how little agent it takes to actually smother a fire.

But.... if you want to spend the $$$ and carry a big-ass 20# with you inside your truck then God Speed - I really can not say that is a bad idea.
Sterling, VA
Old July 4th, 2013, 01:00 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh-man View Post
I also suggest if you can swing it, locating one up front within reach and one in the trunk/cargo area. The fact is you never know where you will be when/if a fire starts.

The MOD defenders has a horizontal mount for a 20lb extinguisher on the passenger floor up against the seat box which is a handy spot. But I also mounted another 20lb'er in the rear load space.
Mine has a mount for a much smaller extinguisher on the plate between the two seats.
Old July 4th, 2013, 02:49 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

What agent is the best to get these days? I know this has swung back and forth over the years.
Old July 4th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

If you're off-roading and something like an oil line blows, spewing oil which ignites, you're going to be hard pressed with a 2.5# to put out the fire in your engine bay, along with the brush fire that's been started because of the really try weather. In a parking lot, or on the road, it's not so much a problem.
Two 10's, or a 5 and a 10 (with the 5 where you can easily reach it from the driver's seat), would probably be more useful than a single 20.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old July 4th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Yudda
Rob
1997/300tdi/110

How about a Halotron extinguisher ?

http://www.h3rperformance.com/halguard_products.htm

I'm thinking a small one in the cab...with in arms reach.

And maybe a larger 6 or 8 kilo... powder extinguisher in the back.
Old July 4th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
Dry Chemical is the industry standard. It is great with liquid / gas / oil fires. But there is no way around it - if you spray it on your truck and get it in the intake (or other moving parts) - you are going to have to take everything apart and clean this stuff out - it is very "salty" / corrosive. 30 years riding fire engines and I have no complaints with the all purpose suitability of the dry chem. Cheap, widely available, and puts out a lot of fire.

That said, the inert gas type extinguishers are fine and dandy (halon, CO2 and so forth) but it just takes so much more (and a larger extinguisher). This is becasue they displace the oxygen around the fire - so you need to keep a field of inert gas around the fire until cools and goes out. But when you are done... clean up is a lot less problematic.

Also, a 20# CO2 can chill a case of beer and dry chemical can not... if that figures into your decision making.....
Sterling, VA
Old July 4th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I got a halite on which I was told is used on Submarines. Don't know if that is still true or not.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 4th, 2013, 07:06 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemanshort View Post
A 20 pound extinguisher? Uh... sure... but those are a little overkill. We carry 20# on the fire engine.

But.... if you want to spend the $$$ and carry a big-ass 20# with you inside your truck then God Speed - I really can not say that is a bad idea.
Agree 100% with your points above, Brother. However, 99% of the people we are talking to never have been around fire, won't use a small extinguisher to its potential,therefor bigger IS better. We both know with the proper training and some fineness we could knock down a room fire with a water can. But that's not the crowd we are dealing with IMO.

Just my $.02

------ Follow up post added July 4th, 2013 07:07 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post

Mine has a mount for a much smaller extinguisher on the plate between the two seats.
My MOD had this one in the rear up against the bulkhead. Was meant for a 10 pounder I believe.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fire