Fire Extigushers - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 28th, 2005, 07:14 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Fire Extigushers

OKay so the blown oil cooler line issue has been addressed, what sort of fire extinguishers do you folks carry? Those of you that have put your trucks "out" what sorta fire extinguisher did you use?
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Search newb!

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ead.php?t=1730
Old February 28th, 2005, 07:43 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i knew that was coming, thanks Mike.
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2005, 09:02 AM
mspell
Michael Spellman

Did the D90 come from the factory w/am extinguisher? I've got an 8" one mounted next to the pass side rear speaker, & assumed it's always been there.
Old February 28th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Never seen one from the factory. You've either had a smart previous owner, or the dealership put it in.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 28th, 2005, 01:12 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

steel-braided

hey fellas...

what do you think about steel-braided oil cooler lines? worth it for $280?

-dan
Old February 28th, 2005, 01:39 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspell
I've got an 8" one mounted next to the pass side rear speaker, & assumed it's always been there.
I would have it closer to me than that! If you ever need it that'll seem like a mile away.

From what I've been told, make sure you go with one of those "dry" chemical ones. I thought they were all dry but I guess not. I have one from a lab that used a big Halon system and filled all of theirs with the stuff.

Stay away from the cheap, home jobs as cleaning off the foam is impossible.

I've thought of fitting a tank or two in the back and feeding two pipes to the engine bay. When you need it you just press a convenient button on the dash and off they go! Makes sense - how do you expect to pop the hood with a fire under there???
Old February 28th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

I was told by a fireman that the way to do it is spray up from under the vehicle. Keep the hood closed to help snuff the fire.

My two are mounted on the roll cage at window height just behind each front seat.

I changed from dry chem (after seeing what it did to the engine bay) to halotron, but haven't used them. I've wondered since then if this was a wise choice.

Comments?

Doug W.
Old February 28th, 2005, 02:03 PM
mspell
Michael Spellman

Nice, LMAO...good point on the distance. I should know better, my buddy was sitting in line at McD's drivethru when the PS lines on his '68 Cougar split from the heat off his newly installed headers...he had to get into the trunk...it was like a horror movie where he was fumbling with the keys & couldn't get into the trunk, all the while the fire was raging under his hood.
Old February 28th, 2005, 02:06 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

The hood tip makes sense.

Halon, I think this is the preferred stuff. It's used in most lab environments - by lab I mean IT lab. As long as it's hooked up correctly. The last company I bought out had a 20 tank system with only 7 tanks connected correctly!
Old February 28th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The problem with underhood fires is they usually are oxygen starved, enough to cook decently but far from their full potential. When you open the hood, it gets all the air it needs and flares up FAST. I've seen fire departments do a couple, normally they just soak the entire car to cool it all down and then blast up from beneath. Then, sometimes they basically let it burn itself out and just keep it from spreading to other things.

Long term I am considering an underhood fire system in my Defender. Pull the handle, fire all gone.

Dan. You can do steel braided lines for a LOT less than $280. You only need about 6ft of hose. I did an oil thermostat and all new textile reinforced hose for about $200 including tools. And the thermostat was half of the cost. If you want braided stainless, it's all the same except for the different hose and appropriate fittings. Would probably cost about the same, hose would be pricier but you wouldn't need the clamping tool. Here is the details of what I did.

www.siegecraft.us/rover.htm

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 28th, 2005, 02:55 PM
mspell
Michael Spellman

Here's a few systems:
http://s2.pegasusautoracing.com/026.pdf

http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...p?pid=57&cid=7
Old February 28th, 2005, 04:59 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I have a small halon bottle. They cost more now because they destroy the environment and Halon cant be manufactured any more.

Also, I took oil lines to a local hydraulic shop and they installed braided lines for under 100 dollars.
Old February 28th, 2005, 08:15 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Stick with Dry Chem. Halon is really cool to use but overkill. I'm going to get at somepoint an AFFF extingisher. Its the same stuff we use at the firehouse to put out car fires. Downside its pricey.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old March 2nd, 2005, 09:14 AM
gowyn
gowyn wilcox

Prevention, prevention, prevention.

You guys crack me up.

Under hood fire suppression system sure sound cool, but what a waste of money.

Replace the lines and avoid the possibility of a fire, called prevention.

Carry a BC extinguisher to put other peoples car fires out.

Been a firefighter for past twelve years, seen a few car fires...hehe

They happen quick, they're messy but most of all they are dangerous, all kinds of hazardous crap under that hood and in a car, don't breathe it in. Just hit it fast and get away.
Old March 2nd, 2005, 02:26 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

thanks hans.
Old March 4th, 2005, 08:55 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Gowyn,

1. It's not just the lines that cause fires.

2. Lines can fail.

3. We're not considering this option as a "cool factor". I certainly don't give a crap about ANYTHING cool on my trucks!

4. You said it yourself: they happen and they're quick. That's why an on demand system initiated from the relative safety of your driver's seat is best.

Heck, there's nothing special about these and I'm sure you fab a setup for less than $300.

Cheap insurance for me! Better than trying to replace a 97 D90 in the condition mine's in, let alone the D110!
Old March 4th, 2005, 09:07 PM
gowyn
gowyn wilcox

Hey all the power to ya.

Just remeber, best bet would be an inert gas that will displace Oxygen. Could be as simple as a CO2 canister mounted in engine compt manually set off from cab.

Restaurants use fusable links in their systems but I would think that would be too hard to setup under the hood.

Interesting challenge...hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
Gowyn,

1. It's not just the lines that cause fires.

2. Lines can fail.

3. We're not considering this option as a "cool factor". I certainly don't give a crap about ANYTHING cool on my trucks!

4. You said it yourself: they happen and they're quick. That's why an on demand system initiated from the relative safety of your driver's seat is best.

Heck, there's nothing special about these and I'm sure you fab a setup for less than $300.

Cheap insurance for me! Better than trying to replace a 97 D90 in the condition mine's in, let alone the D110!
Old March 4th, 2005, 11:59 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

I'm not 'versed' on D90 fires, though this is an interesting post.

My only additon is that EE has the genuine LR fire extinguisher for sale... quite expensive, I guess. $275.

That's it.

Nick

Old March 5th, 2005, 03:59 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I understand the reservation about fires, but I have only seen 1 fire up close in what, 20 years?, so I don't think it is probable. That said, the only way I would "wire" something like this into my truck is if I had a CO2 tire inflation system that I could toggle into the engine bay. If that was the case, it would be pretty cool.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fire