Finishing touches on auto swap - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 16th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Finishing touches on auto swap

Hi again,

I figured I'd start a new thread as I have a new question. So after digging around more on the newly acquired 90, and reading tons of threads on swaps people have done, i have found a few problems I'd like resolve:
1.) add feature so foot needs to be on the break to shift from park (interlock)
2.) add feature so transmission has to be in P or N to start
3.) and fix the reverse lights so they work.

I'm looking at getting in if the consoles from ashcrofts, just waiting to see if he still has them and what shipping would be. So that will clean up the looks and give a place to mount the position indicator what he you where i assume the interlock goes. But as for the rest of it, not sure what needs to be done.

Has anyone else addressed these issues? Looks like the guys at ECR do it right, but i figure i can do it with some knowledge.

Thanks,
Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

The systems you are looking for are standard on the 1997's with auto transmissions. You may be able to get these components from a junk yard out of a '97 Disco. As for the console, very hard to come by. ECR may be able to make one up for you.
Old February 16th, 2011, 02:02 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Mine suffers from #1 and #2 as well. I did not do the conversion but have never bothered to fix them. Manual D90's allow you to start in gear so I don't think the wiring is in place for it (at least #2), although I suspect the transmission is setup already for this.

For #3 there is a switch on the transmission that triggers when in reverse. Check and make sure you don't have a loose wire under there. If you have trouble finding it, I can take a look at mine and describe where it is.

charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
Mine suffers from #1 and #2 as well. I did not do the conversion but have never bothered to fix them. Manual D90's allow you to start in gear so I don't think the wiring is in place for it (at least #2), although I suspect the transmission is setup already for this.

For #3 there is a switch on the transmission that triggers when in reverse. Check and make sure you don't have a loose wire under there. If you have trouble finding it, I can take a look at mine and describe where it is.

charles
Do the manual defenders have a switch on the clutch pedal so that it had to be depressed to start?

I was under there last night and saw a pigtail hanging. Not sure if that was the one that was to the old manual (round plug 5ish pins) or something off the new auto. I'll probably make a boot and use some bullet connectors to the pins. That should do it. Just need to find which wires, I'll look harder tonight and let you know.

Its too bad we dont have any good junk yards around here, but next time I get to a bigger city I think I'll crawl around a disco and see if I can't find some parts.

Thanks guys!
Old February 16th, 2011, 02:37 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
Do the manual defenders have a switch on the clutch pedal so that it had to be depressed to start?
Nope
Old February 17th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Pete,
when i built my 300tdi auto i wanted the safety of it not being in gear when i tried to start it, however the shifter i had did not have the solenoid interlock on the shifter housing.

I used the auto gearbox's switch to pull in a relay that interupted the the starter solonoid circuit preventing it from starting unless it was in N or P.
I did not want to use the brake switch also but could easily be incorporated into the interlock.
I used the factory colours and connectors for the stock look.

regards

Gren

for me it was easy and effective

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions