finding build date on frame - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 23rd, 2009, 11:53 AM
northstar207
Alden Robbins
1985 D-90 300 TDI

finding build date on frame

Found on the web that the build date was stamped on the frame of many defenders with the week and year of build. Still trying to get an 85 over from Canada, and the agent I am talking with says he goes by what is on the vehicle not on the paperwork. The fella who is storing it for me is going to give it a look, but have you folks found this to be true? I know from the VIN that the truck was built in either late 83 or early 84, and I have to be coming up on the 25 yr limit quickly. I just have to have some sort of proof when I roll into customs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:24 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Oh I think I know, Ill check today and try to get a pic of where its stamped for you.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:33 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar207
Found on the web that the build date was stamped on the frame of many defenders with the week and year of build. Still trying to get an 85 over from Canada, and the agent I am talking with says he goes by what is on the vehicle not on the paperwork. The fella who is storing it for me is going to give it a look, but have you folks found this to be true? I know from the VIN that the truck was built in either late 83 or early 84, and I have to be coming up on the 25 yr limit quickly. I just have to have some sort of proof when I roll into customs.
Had not heard that before. The 85's aren't eligible for import untill after Jan 1, 2010. The letter of the law is 25yrs from the date (month, day, year) of manufacture. The customs officers I have dealt with have gone by the year model since the only way to get the day manufactured is to go through the Motor Heritage Museum in Gaydon and they charge $40 for a build "certificate". It would be good to know if there is a build date somewhere on the chassis let us know what you find out.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:16 PM
northstar207
Alden Robbins
1985 D-90 300 TDI

I have already sent a request for a build date letter, which was a little cheaper than the certificate, but I found out on a site that explained rover vins, that there should be a 4 number stamp on the right "outrigger" forward of the spring mounting turrent. The first two would be the week of manufacture and the last two the year. I guess the production year in Solihul is from September to August, so I am not quite sure how they calculate the week number, but it may give ammo when trying to get one across.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:37 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Right Infront Of The Drivers Side Bulkhead Outrigger. Also On The Inner Passengers Side Rail Just About Inline With The Bulkhead
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:10 PM
northstar207
Alden Robbins
1985 D-90 300 TDI

Hey TDI Guy, were you able to use this as proof for getting your 84 in? Or did you have to get a certificate as well.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:42 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
No. my chassis is a aftermarket Galv. unit. The stams I refer to are on my 95 d-90. THere may be more of them but thats the ones I remember seeing
Old January 27th, 2009, 11:05 AM
northstar207
Alden Robbins
1985 D-90 300 TDI

FYI, my friend who is storing it for me pressure washed the underside of the 90. The good news: frame is bright and sound. The bad news: no numbers anywhere to indicate build date. I guess I would rather have it this way than the reverse, but it is frustrating to have my Rover so damn close yet still out of my grasp. Next step is wait for build date letter from British Heritage. My friend offered to have some numbers "appear" on the frame, but I don't feel like taking the risk .
Old January 27th, 2009, 01:01 PM
DonFromWhitby
Don Andrews
'94 NAS D90 #CDN-80, 2011 LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar207
FYI, my friend who is storing it for me pressure washed the underside of the 90. The good news: frame is bright and sound. The bad news: no numbers anywhere to indicate build date. I guess I would rather have it this way than the reverse, but it is frustrating to have my Rover so damn close yet still out of my grasp. Next step is wait for build date letter from British Heritage. My friend offered to have some numbers "appear" on the frame, but I don't feel like taking the risk .
One other place to check is the outside of the ladder frame right in front of the rear crossmember on the (standing behind the truck, looking forwards) left hand side of the truck.
Old January 27th, 2009, 01:06 PM
northstar207
Alden Robbins
1985 D-90 300 TDI

Thanks for the info. hopefully they can find something.
Old January 28th, 2009, 07:57 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Guy
Right Infront Of The Drivers Side Bulkhead Outrigger. Also On The Inner Passengers Side Rail Just About Inline With The Bulkhead
I found what appear to be dates stamped in both these places on two different frames, but the one on the LH side is slightly different than the one inside the RH frame rail- could one be the date the frame was made and the other the build date of the actual truck?
Old January 31st, 2009, 03:09 PM
northstar207
Alden Robbins
1985 D-90 300 TDI

FYI, update on my date search for my "85", I just got the letter back from the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust, and it states that my Rover was built in Solihull on the 18th of October, ................1985. This is rather dissapointing, since I was hoping an 85 registered vehicle would have been made in 83/84 production year. This also makes me wonder if this truck is really an 85 or an 86. As far as getting it across the border, I might as well just wait until January 1st 2010 now, and just leave the build date letter home and use the registration as proof of 25 year age. ARRRGGGHHH. Unless anybody on here as any other great ideas?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions