Find me a T-case that works - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 24th, 2007, 08:33 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Find me a T-case that works

I was hoping for advice from everyone on how to handle my current situation.. A while back the input bearing on my t-case grenaded damaging most of the gears. I used this oppertunity to rebuild a case with a GBR low range kit. A spent a pretty penny on the gears and handed it over to a well known land rover shop. After almost 2 months with my t-case they got it back to me. I had it installed by a dealership. Since then I have maybe put 1500 miles on the truck, no wheeling. Today the input bearing went again. Didn't grenade like the other one, but the familiar whine out of t-case during engine braking or coasting is certainly the same. I placed the case in neutral and the trans in fifth and the box makes the same "clakety" noise it did last time. What should I do? I enjoyed doing business with shop however I feel if I confront the shop i'm gonna get the "it's something you did" speech. Is it possible to replace this bearing without a complete teardown of the t-case? This is not work I know how to do nor do I have the tools to do it which I means I'm gonna have to pay for it again. I'm gonna change the oil in the case in the slim chance it will help before I call the shop back but any thoughts on what to do? I fear the words "you need another new t-case"
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

don't rebuilds carry some sort of warranty?
Old November 24th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Contact the shop first. There is no need to play "what if" untill you hear what they have to say. If they screw you, then there are at least 3 shops that I can put you in touch with that I know will take care of you. Good luck.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2007, 12:13 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I guess I'll try talking to them and see what they say.
Old November 25th, 2007, 03:02 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

When I have seen recurring problems on the front output bearing, balancing the front driveshaft to the output flange fixed the problem. If it is a balance problem it is not really the shops fault. Do you a have double cardon front driveshaft?

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old November 25th, 2007, 08:32 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I have stock driveshafts. I'm not quite sure how the driveshaft could be the culprit since they don't interact with the bearing. Maybe I have the name wrong.. I am talking about the bearing behind the yellow cap in the photo. Is this not called the input shaft bearing? http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC3611R.cfm.
Old November 25th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

You are correct. What you are talking about are the input gear bearings. You need to take the unit out to replace those and you will need to set the pre-load.

CB
Old November 25th, 2007, 09:42 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
I have stock driveshafts. I'm not quite sure how the driveshaft could be the culprit since they don't interact with the bearing. Maybe I have the name wrong.. I am talking about the bearing behind the yellow cap in the photo. Is this not called the input shaft bearing? http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/STC3611R.cfm.
Yep my mistake. Thought you were describing the front output bearing. Good luckshould you drain some fluid to see if anything is amiss inside?

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old November 25th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It sounds to me that you have not even investigated the problem yet. Pull the big inspection plate of the case and have a look to see what is wrong first. Then talk to the shop that rebuilt it.....
Old November 26th, 2007, 12:07 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Not sure of the proper name, but could the rear bearings of the transmission be bad, causing the output shaft from the transmission to vibrate and cause the failure in the transfer case?
Old November 26th, 2007, 12:09 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Nevermind. Crush sleeve is on the other one, now that I think about it.
Old November 26th, 2007, 02:19 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

This is true, I have not taken anything apart yet. Since the symtoms are the exact same, I just assumed. I also read about certain models of t-case having an issue with starving the input bearing of oil causing failure. Do you think if I start taking stuff apart it would void any warrantee I might have? Should I ask the shop first?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions