finally found a d-90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 8th, 2008, 12:03 AM
justinaldi
justin aldi
none

finally found a d-90

I finally got the low mileage d-90 I have been searching for. It is a 95 st with just over 30k miles on it. I would like some advice from you guys regarding cost effective ways to improve the ON ROAD performance of the truck. It is 100% stock now. What have you guys found that works to get extra hp etc.

Thanks

Justin Aldi

Burbank, CA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2008, 12:09 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Justin,

Congratulations on your new truck. Where in Burbank are you located. I live on Catalina and Chandler.

Kevin
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:40 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Congrats Justin!

Take some time and read some of the upgrades from here, then do some keyword searches on the forum to expound on it. (shocks, springs, steering dampner, rubberized shock towers and spring isolators).

First things first, if it hasn't been done yet...replace your oil cooler lines!

How much hp are you after? Small stuff, like a K&N air filter, upgrading mufflers, rechipping the ecu, changing your gearing...etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2008, 12:42 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

I didn't realize that changing the gearing was considered "small stuff"
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:44 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Justin

Congrats! I am also in the LA area. The first thing you should do before you worry about road worthiness is replace your oil cooler lines. A burnt up truck won't be too good on the road. Either get new ones and wrap them in heat shield or go stainless. I went stainless. As for road worthiness I can't speak for cost affectiveness but I can tell you what I did.
Switched mud terrains to all terrains
Dynamat in the doors
Badger top

good luck
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:36 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
I guess it depends on how you roll... (kidding) Compared to an engine upgrade, it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris
I didn't realize that changing the gearing was considered "small stuff"
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:53 AM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaxx
I guess it depends on how you roll... (kidding) Compared to an engine upgrade, it is...
well sure... compared to an engine upgrade there aren't too many things that _don't_ fit into the small stuff category...
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Lots of small stuff in there you can do to help it perform on the road. Are you looking for road handling, or just "Comfort" type stuff?

For road handling TheMaxx had a lot of great suggestions such as rubber isolators and such. Also, make sure you have the right tires for the application.

I'd also consider the convex mirrors from Expedition Exchange, some sound proofing possibly. Heat shielding around the catalytic converters would be a good idea in your area too since the floors can get really hot at times. Upgrade the headlights with some Hella Vision Plus lenses. You'll also want some good locking storage, I forget who it was here that makes those really nice boxes for the rear (Trever Tarr?).

And like everybody else said, new oil lines are a MUST.

Follow-up Post:

Oh yeah, and you also would be well served to inspect the thermal fan clutch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 8th, 2008, 09:59 AM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

I am in a stock 1994 ST. Pretty much kept it that way.
1. replace the Oil Lines. First thing to do!
2. while in there, check all the hoses just to make sure (they are 10+yrs old.)
3. The convex mirrors are great
4. In a few months take the top off, you need a hat, suntan lotion, and a pre-made note pad to give out telephone numbers. I advise the under seat locker for the panty collection.
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:10 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Change to redline MTL in the trans. and do a full 30k service on it with synthetics all around.

Replace the shocks with bilsteins.

Check and replace as needed bushings etc.

Tune it up making sure both advances work on the distributor and replacing the plugs and wires.

Replace the chip with one from a disco or RRC to get rid of the speed limiter.
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:34 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb
4. In a few months take the top off, you need a hat, suntan lotion, and a pre-made note pad to give out telephone numbers. I advise the under seat locker for the panty collection.
That reminds me of a fireman I used to work with. He would write his name and number on a Post It note and fold a penny up inside it. When driving back to the station or just cruising around he would toss these out to woman on the street. For a few shifts I wondered what the heck is he doing throwing stuff off the rig. Then he told me about it and said it's just like fishing, cast it out enough times and someone will take the bait. He was a strange dude, maybe a visionary, who knows. No wonder fireman get such a bad reputation.

Justin,

Make sure you get to know the guys at www.britishpacific.com they are up in Santa Clarita and will be a great source of info. I usualy order over the phone and the stuff shows up the next day.
Old January 11th, 2008, 01:12 AM
justinaldi
justin aldi
none

Thanks for the tips on this. I wasn't even aware of the oil lines. I will get those changed right off the bat. I am very aware of the British pacific guys as I own a older series IIa and use them all the time.

Looks like I have some easy stuff to take care of, and keep the suggestions coming.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d-90