Filter Mag - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:44 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Filter Mag

Has anyone here ever had any experience with Filter Mag for a oil filter? I had read some positive and negative articles about it but what to see if anyone here had any opinions.

Thanks

FILTER MAG WEBSITE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2006, 01:08 AM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

I'm using one. But I'm also a sucker for bogus gizmos. I have no way of determining if it makes any difference or not. But I figure it's probably not doing any harm.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 01:33 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I found some extremely strong magnets at a surplus store a while back. I stick one on the lowest point of the oil pan and one on the bottom of the oil filter. I can stick my finger into the oil drain hole and feel the crap accumulated after draining the oil. I remove the magnet and flush the pan. Don't know what the one on the filter does but imagine it has to be catching something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:54 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
I figured that the oil filter does the job already. The oil pan magnet, retrieving the particles is the trick. So if close enough to the drain hole, retrieving by finger and feel seems limited. I'm using the magnet drain plugs, which shows the
metal particles that come out with the plug at oil change.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:24 AM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

I have seen the pictures on EE with magnetic particals stuck to the side of the filter, I question that if your motor has that much iron floating in it, that it is about to sh!t the bed anyway.

I do however recoment the magnetic drain plugs for your diff's and transfer case. I had a magnetic plug in my diffs. When I changed out to an ARB there was all sorts of iron on the magnet. The spider gear shaft had shatered. The cool thing was the bearings showed no adverse wear/scaring what so ever.
Old November 4th, 2006, 04:23 AM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Yup got all magnetic plugs for the diffs as well. When I pulled the sump plug, it looked like EE's pic as well.
The particles clumped together were real fine with no roughness when rubbed between the fingers, they are too fine.
I first thought, "holy sh.t " my engine is shaving steel". I have changed oil every three thou.
Old April 12th, 2009, 12:29 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
I'm going to put in magnetic plugs and I see that the ones sold at EE - Land Rover Genuine Parts Magnetic Drain Plug (FTC5208)

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/d...ndexmain.shtml

...also work for the diffs, trans, and transfer case according to a post here on D90:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...=magnetic+plug

I didn't see anything mentioned about the main engine oil plug. I forgot if they are magnetic from the factory. I'm pretty sure my 95 didn't have a magnetic one - not sure about the 97s.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to fine a magnetic engine oil plug?

Hutch
Old April 12th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The oil filter catches anything large enough to CAUSE wear in the engine, that is it's purpose.

If you are accumulated large enough amounts of iron in the oil to see them, you have serious engine problems or are using very bad oil.

My suggestion to everyone is get an oil analysis every now and then. This will tell you a lot about your engine and how the oil is performing.
Old April 13th, 2009, 08:23 AM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90
The oil filter catches anything large enough to CAUSE wear in the engine, that is it's purpose.
Good point. You are probably right.

Just thought I'd slap one on if I could find the part as it probably couldn't hurt. I suppose that could be my oil analysis!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions