Fiberglass top reinforcement - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 4th, 2004, 01:05 AM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

Fiberglass top reinforcement

Hey bros, I just bought a fiberglass top for my D90. It was a long ordeal finding one that was not cracked or broken in some way. This one is in good shape but I have a concern. Seems like they all develop cracks in certain areas over time. If you were me would you consider installing some sort of reinforcement in certain areas before the apparently inevitable damage occurs? Maybe a little fiberglass resin appropriately located might be in order?

Suggestions, ideas??

Cyborg
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2004, 04:37 PM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

I just did some reinforcement work on my top with some resin and fiberglass sheeting...it works really really really well. However, it can be a little sticky and very toxic...so be careful handling the stuff.

Good luck!
Brian
Old July 5th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

Brian, Can you be more specific about where you reinforced and if it was already broken or if you forsee it breaking?
Larry
Advertisement

Old July 5th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hey, on the side pieces to my fiberglass top there is a 1"x1" square alluminum bars mounted under the window that run the lenght of the window. It came that way when I got it.
Old July 7th, 2004, 05:05 PM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

I also have the supports. Although the only run under the length of the window. You may want to add additional support to the thin areas at the corners...where the sides secure the windows in place. This is a very vulnerable stress point.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fiber, fiberglass, fiberglass top, glass