Fiberglass top install question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old December 30th, 2003, 09:27 PM
James C
'97 D90 ST
Fiberglass top install question

Hello All-

I've been giving serious thought to purchasing a used fiberglass top for my '97 90. The Best Top has seen better days after 5 or so years of wear and break-in attempts (the alarm for my 90 is one of the better upgrades i've made to-date).

It seems like people in this group and others generally have had mixed experiences with the fiberglass top. Also, I understand many have opted to purchase Badger tops as a best top replacement and/or a hardtop substitute.

Assuming I still go the fiberglass top route, I'm wondering whether or not any riveting is required to install. Also, please do share your experiences with the fiberglass top vs. badger or others.

Thanks much

Old December 30th, 2003, 10:15 PM
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything
I just put mine on this past weekend. No riveting.

93 NAS D110 #137 Sold
1-94 NAS D90 #702 Sold
2-94 NAS D90s (#1112, #1586)tdi Sold
95 NAS D90 #262 Sold
1-97 NAS D90 #642 Sold
2-97 NAS D90s LE (#82,#222)Sold
110 Crew Cab Td5 Sold
Hybrid Series 3 Sold
3-D1 Sold
1- D2 Sold
4- RRC Sold
83 110 5dr Diesel (current)

I can quit at any time I am not an addict!!
Old December 30th, 2003, 11:44 PM
Mike Hippert
94 D-90 Grinding Rover
You will have too install rivit nuts in the rails if you don't have them. Not too long ago a few people went this down this road. I think most were pleased with the Fiberglass top, but it is a PITA to put on.

Chris merged a bunch of threads together.

Fiberglass install
Don't forget to Search first then ask questions later! The loose nut behind the wheel
Old December 31st, 2003, 06:23 AM
I have never seen a rover in person
Only 94s should you have to drill and rivnut.

97s it is a bolt on. I am happy with mine.

*not legal advice*
Old December 31st, 2003, 12:06 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

What type of alarm system do you have in your 90? I am looking to purchase one, but am a little leary of there effectiveness. Thanks Joe
If the truck makes it - the trail wasn't tough enough.
If the truck doesn't make it - the truck wasn't tough enough.
Old January 1st, 2004, 04:37 PM
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90
I bought a brand new one from the local dealer and only lasted 8 months before it stared to crack and fall apart. It's a good top if you don't intend on 4 wheelin with it being on, be very very careful and take your time when installing and removing the top and only do it once a year if you have to, the more you put it on and take it off will cause it to get weaker. Also you need to add a sound deadener since you'll start to hear your engine, road noise and so on coming from the bottom of the truck. Also it's a plus if you paint it where I think it will increase the life of the top.
World traveler
Old September 14th, 2009, 10:02 PM
King, Adam
1994 D90
I pulled my fiberglass top off and put the soft top on for the summer.

Unfortunately, in the process of getting the fiberglass top off, the aluminum rivet nuts fastening the roof to the tub were either mashed and needed to get drilled out, or were originally over-tightened so the screw threads deformed the aluminum and they needed to be sawn through. It's getting a bit colder, so I need to put the fiberglass roof back on!

Do you know where I can get these aluminum rivet nuts? Or is there a popular and more hard-wearing substitute people use?

Thanks a ton,

Ago Ergo Sum
Old September 14th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
replied to your PM

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

fiber, fiberglass, fiberglass top, glass